How to Smile During Finals Week!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

Study with Friends

We’ve all had that moment, when you think you’re going crazy and that your studying is actually becoming counter-productive.  Sometimes you just need a break.  So, instead of secluding yourself in your room, make plans to go to the library or elsewhere with some friends.  Not only can they give you bits of information you didn’t previously know, because two brains are better than one, but they can also keep you in check when you start feeling overwhelmed.

Make a playlist

A good playlist and an upbeat song can really get you in the mood to study hard and rock the test.  Sure, it drowns out distracting people around you who are shuffling papers and conversing about something that happened on Facebook, but it also sets a pace and keeps you going while you study.  Some people don’t like to listen to music while studying, but at least take a few minutes to listen to some of your favorite songs so you can feel inspired to do your best.

Remember to take time for yourself

Although it seems like getting an A on your final is the most important thing and that cramming every minute of every day is the only way to get there, sometimes a few minutes or an hour to yourself can make all the difference.  A clear and relaxed mind can even increase your productivity when you start studying again.  Take some time to breathe, and do something relaxing or something that you enjoy.  My plan is to get a pedicure sometime during the week!

Exercise

As quoted from Legally Blonde “exercise creates endorphins; endorphins make people happy.”  And we all know, happy people don’t get brought down by finals week!

Stacey Oswald, originally from South Florida, came to Vanderbilt as a member of the class of 2015 and got involved with HerCampus her freshman year. She became assistant editor that year and is now the Campus Correspondent for Vanderbilt HC as a sophomore. Stacey is currently a columnist for Ask Miss A- Nashville and the life section of The Hustler. She's also very involved in her sorority, Kappa Delta, as well as Invisible Children. Outside of school and her extracurriculars, Stacey finds happiness in many sources, the most crucial being exercise and the sun. She loves to attend exercise classes and is an avid runner; she recently completed the Country Music Half Marathon. She also loves Vitamin D, especially when on the beach- though of course, she only soaks up the sun after applying SPF. A few of the things Stacey couldn't live without? Good food (especially from Sweet Cece's, Bricktops, and Samurai Sushi), great books (The Hypnotist's Love Story is a recent favorite), her family back in Florida, her wonderful boyfriend, and all of the great friends she's made at Vanderbilt.