This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

Recognize this line? “I’m trying to find the word to describe this girl without being disrespectful……damn you’re a sexy bitch.”

Perhaps no song more fully encapsulates the conundrum of feminism and hip-hop more than David Guetta and Akon’s song “Sexy Bitch,” which topped the charts in 2009 and provided a party anthem for teens everywhere. Since 2009 we haven’t made much progress in eliminating derogatory language from hip-hop music. In fact, it just seems to be getting more popular and prevalent. So how can any self-respecting feminist listen to hip-hop these days?

I am both a self-respecting feminist and an avid hip-hop fan, and I have been grappling with this question for a long time. While there are a few prominent female rappers (Nicki Minaj and Cardi B), the industry is still heavily male-dominated, and lyrics reflect hypermasculine themes of female objectification and degradation.

Let me be up front and say that this is bad, and I do not support the message such lyrics sends to impressionable young boys and girls. However, I have also reached the realization that if I tried to avoid all media with sexism ingrained in it, there would be almost nothing left. Although hip-hop is always brought to the forefront, every single genre of music has a history of sexism because our world has a history of sexism. Hip-hop has its “sexy bitches,” country music portrays strictly reinforced gender roles, rock music has sexual objectification, and even classical music has historically excluded women. Rather than lock myself in a metaphorical silent and windowless room, I allow myself the freedom to enjoy music without internalizing the lyrics.

Having said this, there is one rule I commit to when considering all genres of music—whether or not the artist has a history of abusing women in their personal life. In the hip-hop realm, this means artists like XXXTentacion, 6ix9ine, and Chris Brown are strictly off limits—talent is meaningless in the face of violence or abuse, and artists that perpetrate crimes against women don’t deserve any money, fame, or positive recognition.

While it may seem like an oxymoron to be a feminist hip-hop lover, I have found my own balance between the two, and I take comfort in accepting that it’s okay not to constantly view art through a socio-political lens.

Muna Ikedionwu

Vanderbilt '19

Muna is studying Medical Humanities & The Arts and Corporate Strategy at Vanderbilt University. She loves supporting small businesses, watching indie films on weekends, and can talk for hours about anything from the newest addition to her skincare routine to how the digitization of political news has changed society for the better. Her motto is "Be fearless. Be authentic. Be brave enough to start a conversation that matters."