This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

It’s almost impossible to scroll through social media, online shop, or check your email without being reminded to vote. But even though we’re being constantly reminded that it’s important to vote, not very many people are explaining why. Regardless of your political affiliation, these are some of the most significant reasons why you should head over to the polls and cast your vote (or feel very proud that you already did!). 

Not voting is giving up your voice.

Voting is a right women before us were willing to dedicate countless hours or even go to jail for. This is important to mention, not to guilt you into voting, but to remind you how special your ability to vote is. As young citizens, and young women, we have unique perspectives that should not be neglected. Voting gives you the power to choose how your city, state, and country will be run. Even though you may feel that your vote is unlikely to sway the election, voting is more than just electing a candidate, it’s choosing the policies and people who have your best interests in mind when making decisions that will affect our communities. 

Not voting is giving up the chance to help someone else.

Our communities are made up of people who may not know how important voting is, or don’t have the privilege. When you vote, you are helping to shape the inclusivity of policies surrounding health care, immigration, equal opportunity, infrastructure, education, employment, neighborhood safety, and countless other areas. These decisions affect both yourself, and those around you. By voting, you’re supporting the groups you care about and can use your voice to help others.  

It’s our future. 

As college students, we have gained our power to vote somewhat recently. However, the decisions and policies that are made by the candidates we elect can shape what our future will look like, and the futures of those we care about. Issues you may value such as climate change action, reproductive rights, social security, and education all have long-term effects on what the society we will live in not only during, but after the winning candidate takes office, and what kind of nation we will leave behind. By not taking the mere minutes or hours it may take to vote, you may be giving up your chance to impact what happens for years to come. 

If any of these reasons appealed to you, or if you have any reasons of your own, I’m humbly asking you to seize the opportunity to vote, no matter whose name you check on your ballot.

Hailee Seehusen

Vanderbilt '24

Big fan of Netflix, country music and first-year student at Vandy!
Madison Edwards

Vanderbilt '21

Madison is a Campus Trendsetter and Campus Correspondent. She is currently majoring in Human and Organizational Development at Vanderbilt University. Madison enjoys traveling and trying new foods, and can always be found drinking a good cup of coffee :)