Style

Here Are 5 Halloween Costumes You Can Find in Your Dorm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

Everyone loves to have fun with costumes during Halloween season, but college can put some serious limits on your budget and time to invest in one. However, it’s extremely easy to put something together in just a few minutes with things you can already find in your dorm! Here are five Halloween costumes you can pull together from your closet that will get you lookin’ cute n’ snooky in seconds at no cost. 

Ariana Grande

You’ll Need:

• Oversized hoodie

• Knee-high boots

• Optional: hair clips

Ariana Grande is such an iconic figure and her costume is the easiest out of all five to put together. All you need to do is throw on an oversized hoodie with some biker shorts, put on knee-high boots and snatch your hair up into a high ponytail. In her most iconic photo, Ari has her bangs pulled to the side and clipped back with a hair clip. You can do this if you’d like but it’s totally optional. You’ll be looking like a dangerous woman in no time. 

She-Devil 

You’ll Need:

• Red top or dress

• Red lipstick 

• Headband 

• Optional: red heels 

Bad b*tches, this one’s for you. Time to pull out your LRD (little red dress) or any cute red top you own. For your horns, there are a few options. You can either tape some red cardboard cutouts to a headband, or create horns out of your HAIR here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TOs-1YaajU&ab_channel=AndreyhaSeraphin (bonus makeup tutorial included).

Finish everything off with a red makeup look and some bold red lips. This look is perfect if you want to look smokin’ for Halloween. 

Minnie Mouse

You’ll Need:

• Red top

• Short red skirt (with polka dots)

• Hair bow 

• Tall white socks 

If you are a Disney fan, this one’s for you. You’ll need a short sleeve red top with a red skirt, ideally one with white polka dots. Put your hair up into two buns to minic Minnie’s ears, and finish it off with a red bow. If you want to you can also buy a Minnie headband and bypass the hairstyling. Put on your tall white socks and the look is complete!

Black Cat 

You’ll Need:

• Any outfit that’s black 

• Eyeliner 

• Headband 

Dressing up as a cat for Halloween is easier than ever. All you need is any black outfit – dress, black tee, jumpsuit, you name it – and some good eyeliner for a good cat eye and face makeup. You can make your own kitty ears with a headband and black paper cutouts. This costume is incredibly versatile – you can dress it up or down as much as you like in both the makeup and outfit. Happy purring kitties. 

Cheetah 

You’ll Need:

• Cheetah print top or dress

• Gold and black makeup 

• Headband 

This one’s my personal favorite. It’s classy, easy, and perfect for Halloween in college. Pick any outfit with cheetah print and complete the look with some cheetah print makeup. You can find some inspo here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ6eHU2N0DA&ab_channel=MellySanchez

If you are willing to, you can pick up really cute metal cat ear headbands from places like Forever 21 or H&M for cheap. If not, you’re good to go with a DIY version or go completely without – your outfit will give away what you are. Now, you are ready to take on the night!

Eryn Lin

Vanderbilt '21

Economics major, Business and Chinese Culture & Language minor "People will forget what you said, forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." -Maya Angelou
Madison Edwards

Vanderbilt '21

Madison is a Campus Trendsetter and Campus Correspondent. She is currently majoring in Human and Organizational Development at Vanderbilt University. Madison enjoys traveling and trying new foods, and can always be found drinking a good cup of coffee :)