Life > Experiences

HER Campus Vanderbilt Takes on OUTLOUD Music Festival

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

HER Campus Vanderbilt was invited to attend the OUTLOUD music festival and if you missed our social media takeover on Instagram (@hercampusvandy, shameless plug), here is a brief recap. 

Background 

OUTLOUD Music Festival was created in 2017 as a way to celebrate LGBTQI+ and LGBTQI+ allied artists regionally and nationally. This annual festival takes place in East Nashville and is intended to be a space for individuals of all ages to “Get Out. Be Loud.

OUTLOUD features two stages that serve different functions. The LOUDstage highlights performances from national and regional artists and has featured performances from artists such as Kim Petras, Betty Who, and Japanese Breakfast. The OUTstage is a new part of OUTLOUD and features performances from local artists like Hallie as well as drag artists such as Pandora Boxx and Cya Inhale. Both stages have performances running throughout the day, keeping the energy high and alive.  

Review 

I went to OUTLOUD with our social media team and I think I speak for all of us when I say we had a great time. Upon arriving at the venue, we were ushered to a booth where we got to amp up our faces and outfits with glitter and rhinestones while winning some prizes from Tito’s (unfortunately / fortunately, it did not include tequila!). The sun was blazing so we took temporary shelter at the OUTstage, where we watched performances from a local artist named Rosemary Joaquin, whose lowkey but authentic lyrics kept the audience locked in.

We walked throughout the rest of the festival, stopping by booths on sexual healh (shoutout @musiccityprepclinic!), checking out local vendors selling locally made goods and jewelry, 

Finally, we stopped by the LOUDstage, where we spent the bulk of our time. Daisy the Great followed her, offering a more stripped down yet still riveting performance, including one of her song The Record Player (which you may have heard on TikTok). All of the performances we were able to see illustrated why the OUTLOUD Music Festival is so well loved by the Nashville community and will continue to be a Nashville staple for years to come.

I want to give a big thank you to OUTLOUD for inviting us to this event! If you’re in Nashville in September next year, definitely check out this festival and support some great artists and businesses.

Chioma Chukwuma

Vanderbilt '23

My name is Chioma and I am a Political Science major at Vanderbilt University! When I'm not working on academics, you can find me reading a fantasy novel, writing a story, or scrolling through Twitter.