Harvey Burrell: A Filmmaker in Our Midst

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

When did you start making films?

I was 13 years old when I made my first film. I was a skate punk at the time but I was no good at skateboarding, so I started filming my friends. We used an old VHS camera that my buddy Luke’s dad had around. I remember all the films looking really bad, but we had fun. I didn’t get serious until high school, and even then it was really just an excuse to hangout with my friends.

How have you made a career from it?

Barely. Really, it just takes a lot of patience. Things start out really small. Senior year of high school I teamed up with my best friend Tripp Clemens and we started a small production company, Windy Films. Anytime you make a film, you have to convince people to trust you with a lot of their money, so starting small and ending with something tangible to show for it has been crucial.

What are your plans after college?

That is a good question. I hope I can keep making movies and traveling. I don’t seem suited for a real job, so filmmaking feels like a good fit.

What kind of films do you make?

I do a little bit of everything. I seem to keep making silly horror films for class because they are the only valid excuse for running around an abandoned school with a chainsaw and saying it’s homework, but if I had to pick one thing to do for the rest of my life it would be documentary film. I have spent the last 2 years working on a feature length documentary about people with physical disabilities and it has been the single most rewarding experience of my life. That should be done in the spring, which is very exciting. (You can learn more about it at endlessabilities.org)

What was your favorite subject/what are your usual subjects?

Anything near the water. I grew up on Martha’s Vineyard and I love being near the ocean. I spend a lot of time on boats and I get to film a lot of sailing, so that is a dream come true.

Where’s the best place you’ve travelled to for your films?

I would have to say Tibet. It was the first place I traveled purely for work. I was 18 at the time and while all my friends were sitting in some terrible introduction to economics lecture, I was gallivanting about in Shangri-La. I was also lucky enough to spend the summer driving cross-country with my 3 best friends in a beat up bus. We took 6 weeks and drove 6,000 miles. It was about as much fun as four 21 year-old guys could have.

Stacey Oswald, originally from South Florida, came to Vanderbilt as a member of the class of 2015 and got involved with HerCampus her freshman year. She became assistant editor that year and is now the Campus Correspondent for Vanderbilt HC as a sophomore. Stacey is currently a columnist for Ask Miss A- Nashville and the life section of The Hustler. She's also very involved in her sorority, Kappa Delta, as well as Invisible Children. Outside of school and her extracurriculars, Stacey finds happiness in many sources, the most crucial being exercise and the sun. She loves to attend exercise classes and is an avid runner; she recently completed the Country Music Half Marathon. She also loves Vitamin D, especially when on the beach- though of course, she only soaks up the sun after applying SPF. A few of the things Stacey couldn't live without? Good food (especially from Sweet Cece's, Bricktops, and Samurai Sushi), great books (The Hypnotist's Love Story is a recent favorite), her family back in Florida, her wonderful boyfriend, and all of the great friends she's made at Vanderbilt.