Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone at the Nashville Symphony

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

The Nashville Symphony kicked off its Movies at the Schermerhorn Harry Potter series with four concerts the first week of January. I attended the Thursday, January 5th showing of “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone” with my friend, Sydney. Although she identifies as a Gryffindor and I as a Hufflepuff, we put our house alignments aside to enjoy this experience.

How movies at the Schermerhorn works is that they project the movie onto a large screen hanging above the stage. Below, the orchestra plays the soundtrack of the movie LIVE. It felt like I was at an attraction in the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios, getting to experience one of my favorite movies in a brand new way.

Hearing some of the most beautiful and lovely scores played live is one treat, but to have the visual aid of the movie just made it even more spectacular. The musicians are incredibly well-trained and played along seamlessly with the movie. I’m not sure if they secured a version of the movie without the score or just played on top of the already-present soundtrack, but the orchestra timed everything perfectly. 

Also, in case y’all didn’t know, the Schermerhorn Symphony Center is one of the most beautiful buildings in Nashville. After eleven years of living here, I am so glad I finally made it inside. I suggest adding this to your Nashville To-Do lists, and you’re in luck: they’re doing “Chamber of Secrets” in May.

Jules Wilson

Vanderbilt

I'm a girl caught between being a Northerner and a Southerner, but currently residing in Music City. My dorm room is covered in tapestries from Bonnaroo, black and white photos of Paris, a Van Gogh painting-in-a-poster, blue and white christmas lights, and an array of Taylor Swift posters (she is queen). My dream is to write for Marie Claire magazine.