Fear the Diet Pills: Garcinia Cambogia

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

A new dieting pill, extracted from a fruit that grows in Southeast Asia and India, holds the promise of losing weight without additional exercise or dieting.  Dr. Oz recently gave his overwhelming approval for the effectiveness of this pill for losing weight and preventing further fat formation.  Further, Georgetown University Medical Center conducted a study that proved Garcinia Cambogia capable of making men and women lose an average of 16.5 pounds in 8 weeks without additional diet or exercise. 

However, this magical little pill has some people worried.  The U.S. culture calls women to be unrealistically thin, and with a weight loss pill this effective, women will be drawn to abuse the supplement for cosmetic reasons.  Some researchers and doctors think that overweight individuals, not “vanity seekers” who are simply not willing to eat healthy and exercise, should be the only ones allowed to use the dramatic weight loss aid.  

So just what are the risks and side effects to Garcinia Cambogia extract pills?  While too much weight loss is certainly a point of concern, this pill could help fight much of the prominent obesity in the U.S. And when tested, it was shown that there were not any side effects, but rather improved health for those taking the pill.  These health improvements included reductions in bad cholesterol, triglycerides, and blood sugar.  

Many people in favor of the unregulated use of the extract pill claim that taking it away would be comparative to taking away vitamins.  Other specialists say that the use of such a pill should be regulated and only given to those who truly need it and are overweight and have health risks because of it.  Whatever your opinion on the regulation of this pill may be, we can all agree that the future of weight loss will be changed by this fruit and the fight against obesity in this country can be given a bit of hope.