This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

As we celebrate multicultural spirit on Diverse Dores Day in early September, we will embrace Mid-Autumn Festival (also known as Moon Festival or Zhongqiu Jie), a long-established Chinese festival. Let’s delve into this significant cultural celebration!

Date: September 24, 2018

The lunisolar Chinese calendar determines the date of the Mid-Autumn Moon Festival, whose dates varies slightly between years in the Gregorian calendar. Usually, the Moon Festival falls in late September to early October. Lantern Festival and Chinese New Year are other traditional Chinese festivals associated with the moon.

The lunisolar calendar is also associated with twelve animal signs in Chinese Zodiac. In a twelve-year cycle, each year is assigned to an animal sign. 2018 is the Year of the Dog. One’s birth year determines his or her Chinese Zodiac sign. Check the years to determine your own sign!

An Official Holiday

People in Mainland China get a three-day break for the festival. Families and friends gather because the brightest and roundest moon this night symbolizes reunion. Many individuals also express gratitude for the fall harvest and pray for a good future.

Food

Mooncakes are one of the most symbolic food of the festival. The round shape of a mooncake represents unity and completeness. In southern China, manufacturers experiment with new types of mooncakes with fillings such as ice cream. The cultural practices vary in different areas, as some drink cassia wine as the plant blossoms in fall.

Chang’e, the Female Figure

The story of Chang’e, a lunar deity, explains the origin of moon worship. Her husband Hou Yi, a hero skilled at archery, obtained the elixir of immortality and let Chang’e keep it. However, one of Hou Yi’s apprentices forced Chang’e to give the elixir to him when Hou Yi went out. Chang’e declined to do so, so she took it and then flew to the moon. When her husband returned and found out what happened, he placed foods she liked in the yard because he missed Chang’e. People were sympathetic, so they joined in giving sacrifices.

Moon Festival is one of my favorite festivals. The holiday emphasizes the notions of “reunion” and “appreciation.” Remember to get involved in this poetic festival, and enjoy the beautiful moon that night!

Muna Ikedionwu

Vanderbilt '19

Muna is studying Medical Humanities & The Arts and Corporate Strategy at Vanderbilt University. She loves supporting small businesses, watching indie films on weekends, and can talk for hours about anything from the newest addition to her skincare routine to how the digitization of political news has changed society for the better. Her motto is "Be fearless. Be authentic. Be brave enough to start a conversation that matters."