Definitive Ranking of Taylor Swifts’ Grammy Performances

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.
Taylor Swift is no stranger to the Grammy’s stage. She’s attended every year since 2008 and been nominated 29 times. Out of the six times she’s performed, where does this year’s performance of “Out of the Woods” rank? 

6. “Today Was A Fairytale,” “Rhiannon,” and “You Belong With Me” – 2010

Everything was off to a good start when Taylor was happily performing “TWAF,” but as soon as Stevie Nicks joined her for “Rhiannon,” it was like her vocal chords forgot how to sing in the right key. The critics came down hard on Taylor for this one, saying she had ruined her career. 

5. “Fifteen” – 2009 

This performance showcases Taylor doing what she does best – just singing with her guitar. However, it also features an uncomfortable duet with Miley Cyrus, and their voices don’t work together. At all. It’s that simple.

4. “We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together” – 2013

This circus-themed rendition of “WANEGBT” was one Taylor tried out first at EMAs 2012, then as a finale on the Red World Tour, and finally, the opening of the 2013 Grammys. It was theatrical and over-the-top in all the right ways IMO, but it featured a controversial use of a British accent in the spoken-word interlude interpreted as a jab at British ex-boyfriend Harry Styles. 

3. “Mean” – 2012 

This performance and the song itself were inspired by the backlash Taylor got after her 2010 Grammy’s duet with Stevie Nicks. Wearing a frumpy, floral frock, Taylor jammed out with her band and celebrated two Grammy wins for that very song. In another song on “Speak Now” (the same album that “Mean” is on), Taylor sings, “there is nothing I do better than revenge” – and this performance proves that. 

2. “Out of the Woods” – 2016

Taylor opened the 2016 Grammys with a beautiful, energetic performance of her last single from “1989.” Highlights included the sparkly trees on stage, the beaded bodysuit she wore, co-writer and producer Jack Antonoff on guitar, and the confidence with which she sang. This performance was nothing compared to her 1989 World Tour rendition, though, which featured giant paper airplanes flying around. 

1. “All Too Well” – 2014 

This was the song that the fans were begging Taylor to perform, the song that had the most raw emotion and fantastic storytelling from “Red.” It wasn’t a single, so no one thought it would ever happen, but as soon as Taylor started playing the piano in THAT gown, I started crying happy tears in the dorm lobby where I was watching. Even though she didn’t win that year, Taylor proved to her peers with this emotional performance that she was truly talented at what she did. In fact, even more magic followed that performance of “All Too Well” than we could have ever imagined. Upset about her loss of Album of the Year, but also motivated to make a record more sonically cohesive, Taylor came up with the concept for her next album, “1989.”
Jules Wilson

Vanderbilt

I'm a girl caught between being a Northerner and a Southerner, but currently residing in Music City. My dorm room is covered in tapestries from Bonnaroo, black and white photos of Paris, a Van Gogh painting-in-a-poster, blue and white christmas lights, and an array of Taylor Swift posters (she is queen). My dream is to write for Marie Claire magazine.  
Niina Kurki

Vanderbilt