Dana Alloy, World Traveler/Vandy Prof

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

Dana Alloy does it all. She’s a Tour Guide, the co-founder of Kenya Dig It?, VP-PR of Grassroots and a teacher here at Vanderbilt (like what??). She also happens to be my little, and while I could not be prouder to have such an accomplished, intelligent, and fashionable member of the fam, I can’t help but be jealous of her coolness sometimes! Read on to find out more about this awesome gal, and how you, too, can go to Kenya!

Okay, so seriously, how/why are you so involved??? 

I just happened to find other people who were involved with really cool things and decided to join in! Grassroots is a great organization to volunteer in the Nashville community, so I had to check it out. Right now I am volunteering mostly with Thistle Farms, which is a social enterprise helping women dealing with abuse, trafficking, or addiction in the Nashville community. Thistle Farms is an incredible organization so I enjoy being able to have a part in it. Kenya Dig It was presented to a group of students by Brian Griffith, an HOD professor, so my affiliation with the club/class came out of that.  Tour Guides is just so much fun! Everyone should apply.  

What organization has had the biggest impact on you? 

Everything surrounding Kenya (Kenya Dig It, our HOD class, our May trip last summer) has definitely had the greatest impact. We have learned so much about development and poverty, as well as organizational aspects like starting a club and learning how to teach what we have learned. It has been so much fun and definitely an experience to remember!

How can other people be as cool as you AKA go to Kenya? 

Join KDI and take the class! The program in which I participated was incredibly well run, which is why we wanted to make it bigger at Vanderbilt in the first place. But, if what we do for Uhuru Child isn’t really your thing, my advice would be to find any program where you can learn about a new culture and more about yourself. Manna, ASB, Habitat..the list goes on!

What keeps you motivated when you get stressed? 

I love running and exploring Nashville! Long runs are a great way to see the city.

What are some of your favorite Nashville spots?

The Bluebird is my absolute favorite place in Nashville. Some other good ones are Husk, Thistle Stop Cafe, PM, Wild Cow, Percy Warner… the list goes on. I just started an Instagram to compile all of my favorite places into one outlet, so follow @day_in_nashville for more!

Where do you see yourself in five years? 

I would love to work in marketing/public relations in some sort of social enterprise. Can’t really predict much more past that! I will most likely have a dog :) 

Speed round… 

favorite season? 

Fall (tailgates)

favorite ice cream flavor? 

Jeni’s brambleberry crisp 

favorite class at Vanderbilt? 

HOD 2690 Social Entreprenuership 

favorite workout? 

Barry’s

celebrity crush? 

Adrian Grenier or Aaron Paul (bitch!)

Stacey Oswald, originally from South Florida, came to Vanderbilt as a member of the class of 2015 and got involved with HerCampus her freshman year. She became assistant editor that year and is now the Campus Correspondent for Vanderbilt HC as a sophomore. Stacey is currently a columnist for Ask Miss A- Nashville and the life section of The Hustler. She's also very involved in her sorority, Kappa Delta, as well as Invisible Children. Outside of school and her extracurriculars, Stacey finds happiness in many sources, the most crucial being exercise and the sun. She loves to attend exercise classes and is an avid runner; she recently completed the Country Music Half Marathon. She also loves Vitamin D, especially when on the beach- though of course, she only soaks up the sun after applying SPF. A few of the things Stacey couldn't live without? Good food (especially from Sweet Cece's, Bricktops, and Samurai Sushi), great books (The Hypnotist's Love Story is a recent favorite), her family back in Florida, her wonderful boyfriend, and all of the great friends she's made at Vanderbilt.