Life > Experiences

Confessions of a Vanderbilt Transfer Student 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

Two years ago, on a Friday night, I was sitting in my single dorm room, watching “One Tree Hill” as I ate dinner, starting yet another night in, alone. This was not a rare occurrence for me at my previous institution. Being alone was a norm. 

It is crazy to think that flash-forward two years, I would be sitting at dinner on a Friday night, this time, however, surrounded by my amazing friends. I would be engulfed in laughter, smiles, and whatever crazy thing we were recapping from the day. It is incredible what time, trust in your gut, and maybe a little pixie dust can do for your life. 

If you couldn’t already tell, I transferred to Vanderbilt last year. Which makes this year my one-year anniversary at Vanderbilt. My journey to transferring was not linear; in fact, I swore against it when I started at my previous institution. I claimed I would never ever transfer, but found myself pulling up the Common Application – just a mere 8 months after what I thought would be closing it for the last time. 

While my previous institution provided me with so many amazing opportunities – such as learning how to be independent for the first time, learning how to be comfortable, and finally feeling safe while being alone –  at the end of the day, it was not the place for me. I always had a love for Vanderbilt, and when the opportunity presented itself to apply again, I knew I had too. 

In March 2021, as I crammed for an International Relations exam, my life changed. I got an unexpected email that my admissions portal had been updated. With shaky hands, and an uncontrollable heart beat, I opened the decision. What happened next was a blur. I do remember happy tears falling from my eyes as I ecstatically called my family to let them know I was moving to Nashville.  

Transferring is one of those things that is talked about, but also shoved under the carpet– no one really mentions that it is an option if you do not like your current situation. In many ways, it is stigmatized as there is an intense pressure to absolutely love your college. This was something I really struggled with, a sort of guilt or misunderstanding as to why I didn’t like my school. What was wrong with me that I could not make it work like my peers. I always tried to remember something my mom would always say: If the flower does not bloom, change the environment, not the flower. 

One of the biggest lessons I have learned through transferring was to listen to my gut. It sounds generic, obvious even, but it is harder than you would think. For the first time in my life, transferring was something that was my own. Something I did by myself, on my own. For once, not listening to what other people had to say. I knew in my heart that it was the right decision for me, and one way or another I would be in a new place the following year. Learning how to listen to yourself is an invaluable skill that needs to be prioritized. Only you know what is best for you, something that we all need to internalize. 

I also learned that sometimes the greatest struggles are the biggest blessings. As my dad would say, there is no gain without pain. Although I struggled at my old school, it taught me how to be resilient, push through obstacles, and always find the light at the end of the tunnel. These are tactical skills I have been able to apply in school, in jobs, and even in friendships. 

Transferring also taught me to be grateful for everything I experienced here at Vanderbilt because I remember what it was like to not have those things. Every time I get food with my friends or try new things in Nashville I remember there was a time when I did not have people to do these things with. I’ve also learned that (especially at Vanderbilt) transfers are bonded here. We run in tight, small circles and are always connected. If you are a transfer, I bet I know you, your TSL, or one of your friends who transferred with you. To quote the queen Taylor Swift, in many ways, transfers are tied together by invisible strings as we share the same strength, resilience, passion, and grit to make such a substantial change in our lives. 

Transferring is an experience only transfers will truly understand, but I hope that even if you aren’t a transfer reading this, you can see that events in your life can teach you lessons too. It is okay to change your mind, it is actually really normal! It is okay to try new things and take risks. Most of the time they will pay off in the end! And it is okay for something that seems like it fits perfectly for everyone to not fit for you because what works for one does not work for all. 

Cami Lenkov

Vanderbilt '25

Hi! I'm Cami Lenkov, a junior at Vanderbilt University double majoring in political science and communication studies. I am originally from Los Angeles. I like to read, write, workout, try new restaurants, coffee shops, travel, shop/thrift, and play with my Boxer puppy Bailey.