Body Positivity Week 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

This week, we will be celebrating body positivity on Vanderbilt’s campus with a lot of awesome events, giveaways, speakers and food.

Monday

Come out from 11:00 – 1:00 to Alumni Lawn and take out some of your mid-term stress by smashing scales! Later that evening (from 8:00 – 9:30 PM), there will be a student panel in Sarratt 216/220 discussing how various cultures influence beauty ideals. We’ll have a great variety of FOOD too!! (Gojo, Taziki’s, Lucky Bamboo, and Sitar). Facebook Event

Tuesday

From 6PM – 8PM (in Sarratt 216/220) Go Figure, Active Minds, CHAARG, and the Student Health and Wellness Committee will be co-sponsoring a night exploring the intersections of mental, physical, and spiritual health. Yoga, giveaways, vegan food from Sunflower Cafe, and more!

Wednesday

We will be screening the documentary  “Embrace,” which follows body image activist Taryn Brumfitt’s crusade as she explores the global issue of body loathing, inspiring us to change the way we feel about ourselves and think about our bodies. After the movie, there will be a brief discussion session. 7PM in Sarratt Cinema. Popcorn will be provided.

Thursday

We will host a panel of Vanderbilt students to discuss how masculinity ideals influence body image as well as hear some people’s personal stories. Jakes Bakes and hot chocolate provided. 7:00-8:30PM. Sarratt 216/220. Facebook Event

All of the events (except for the scale smashing) count for GME (healthy behaviors) and MVE credit. We hope to see you there! 

Photos Courtesy of Vanderbilt Go Figure