The Best Brunch Places Near Vanderbilt’s Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

Two things everybody loves: spending quality time with friends and great food. The perfect way to combine both is with a weekend brunch date. Get dressed up, grab your girls, and get ready to try some of my favorite brunch places here in Nashville.

Sun and Fork

This brunch stop has become a staple for Vanderbilt students. Sun and Fork is located beside Barnes and Noble and allows students to use their Commodore Card, aiding in its popularity. My food pick here would be the Carnitas Rancheros Bowl. The combination of over medium egg and carnitas is *chef’s kiss*. The dish is also packed with protein (30 grams not including the egg), making it the perfect go to after a morning of tailgating.

A post shared by HANNAH’S BITES (@hannahsbitess) on

Saint Anejo

Saint Anejo is one of my favorite brunch spots to go with friends. They are serving up Mexican inspired dishes and great vibes. No matter what hour it is, you have to get their queso con chorizo, and no I will not be hearing other opinions on this. For the main dish here, it’s a tie. I love their Short Rib Benedict and their Horchata French Toast. If you are craving savory, go with the benedict, or if you have a sweet tooth, the french toast is the way to go. When eating the french toast, make sure you try each of the three infused syrups. The syrups really take it to the next level and add to the flavor party happening on your tongue.

Riddim N Spice

If you are looking for flavor and island flare, Riddim N Spice is the way to go. Their island take on traditional chicken and waffles makes my heart sing. The jerk chicken is tender, juicy, and packed with flavor. The spices from it paired with the warm belgian waffle and a dash of powdered sugar make for breakfast heaven. While you are eating this, you have to pair it with their rum punch. The fruity flavors bring a nice addition to the savory brunch dish. In some cases the rum punch does encourage you to get up and move to the island beats playing over the speakers in the restaurant. If you are looking for a fun, flavor packed brunch inspired by the Caribbean, Riddim N Spice needs to be your number one choice.

A post shared by RIDDIM N SPICE (@datriddimnspice) on

Sun Diner

If you are looking for a brunch place on lower Broadway, let me recommend Sun Diner. They have their traditional diner staples, but I say go for the Let’s Do The Twist Creme Brulee French Toast. This french toast is made with rum chata (one of my favorite flavored liquors because who doesn’t love spiked horchata). This unique take on french toast is done right. It provides you with a sweet but filling breakfast that hints at the wild night out you and your girl gang had the night before. 

Sinema

For a unique brunch experience, with emphasis on the experience, I recommend Sinema. This restaurant revamped the old Melrose Movie Theater to bring you the nostalgia and elegance of the history of theater and a fine dining experience. The beautiful decor is perfect for some vintage theater inspired photos. As far as brunch goes, Sinema traditionally did buffet style dining but has recently switched to family style dining due to COVID-19. Keeping with tradition, they still offer their bottomless bloody marys and mimosas.  

Southern V

Southern V is the perfect place for my vegetarian/vegan babies. Although I am neither, I too find myself falling in love with their food. If you want to try vegan brunch done right, you have to go to the Southern V. I recommend their Chick’n Biscuit. As an occasional ~meat~ eater, I find myself enjoying the flavor and texture of the fried chick’n. If you get there early enough, snag yourself one of their vegan donuts. You will not regret it. Vegan or not, the food and flavor at Southern V will hit the spot for any southern food lover.

Madison Edwards

Vanderbilt '21

Madison is a Campus Trendsetter and Campus Correspondent. She is currently majoring in Human and Organizational Development at Vanderbilt University. Madison enjoys traveling and trying new foods, and can always be found drinking a good cup of coffee :)