The Art of De-Escalation: What Vanderbilt Is Doing That Other Law Enforcement Agencies Should Consider

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

Recently, I was appointed as the Graduate Student Council representative to Vanderbilt’s Community-Oriented Results and Expectations (CORE) Committee. In training for this position, I had the opportunity to meet with Captain Nicole Collins and talk about Vanderbilt’s policies regarding safety and security on campus.

Vanderbilt is the first police department in Tennessee to be accredited by three governing bodies: CALEA (Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies), IACLEA (International Association of Campus Law Enforcement Administrators), and TLEA (Tennessee Law Enforcement Accreditation). CALEA has almost 500 policies that an agency has to abide by in order to receive accreditation so Vanderbilt’s CALEA accreditation speaks a lot to their commitment to integrity and professional accountability.

When reporting to the scene of a crime, police officers are required to go through the following steps: 

• Establish presence (Ex. Stand in line of sight)
  • Verbal warning
  • Soft open-hand touch (Ex. Touch a pressure point)
  • Chemical spray
  • Hard open-hand touch (Ex. Twist arm behind back)
  • Baton
  • Firearm

Now, it is understandable that this cannot be the series of events when a criminal is armed and dangerous. However, in many of the recent cases of police brutality, the suspect was not armed. Can you imagine how differently these events could have unfolded if all officers were trained in these de-escalation techniques? If all officers were required to go through a series of six steps before they even drew their firearm? Why is a fatal shot the solution to the majority of police interactions these days

If you ask me, I believe professional accountability and required accreditation are the first steps to changing the system. 

Allison Plattsmier (formerly Quintanilla) is a Nashville native who grew up with the nickname Quesadilla and was asked, almost on a daily basis, how someone who is Hispanic could be THAT pale. Allison is quite the workaholic but don’t worry, she’s recently narrowed down her number of jobs from 7 to 4….progress is progress. When she isn’t working, she is spending time with her friends or hanging at home with her husband, Kris, and her two cats Sheena and Jacinda. She is an Escape Game fanatic and has successfully broken out of every Escape Game the Escape Game Nashville has to offer (come at me bro). She has a borderline unhealthy obsession with trivia and has seen every chick flick you can imagine. A student in Vanderbilt's Community Development and Action program, Allison has a passion for service and bringing people together for a common purpose.