Culture > News

5 Ways to Cope with Uncertainty During the Election

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

You’ve watched the debates, done your research, and turned in your ballot. Now what? Casting your ballot, as important as it may be, is far from the end of the election process. Especially with the unprecedented challenges surrounding counting ballots this year, waiting for the results of this year’s election is bound to be anxiety-inducing for many Americans. 

Since we’re all anticipating a decision that will be pivotal regardless of the candidate selected, here are some ways to minimize any additional stress you may be feeling leading up to final results, according to some top mental health experts. 

1. First, take the time to feel what you’re feeling.

While much easier to say than do, acceptance is arguably the most essential part to overcoming any anxiety we’re feeling. Acceptance doesn’t mean we’re resigning or that we’ll no longer feel any emotions, but rather allowing ourselves to feel the way we feel about difficult circumstances in our lives. Regardless if you’re frustrated, apprehensive, scared, or anywhere in between, you and your feelings are all valid.

2. Next, try to accept what you can’t control. 

The worst part of uncertainty is knowing you can’t know for sure what will happen. While this might seem obvious, experts have suggested that the best ways to overcome feelings of stress and anxiety is to embrace that not knowing is inevitable. According to clinical psychologist and founder of Together CBT, Amelia Aldao, PhD, “Acknowledging that we can’t control and change everything is extremely important. Wanting to know and control everything fuels uncertainty. Seeking out information is vital, and keeping up with the news is important—but constantly refreshing your news and social media feeds only adds to anxiety.” It’s important to stay informed, but if you’re experiencing election uncertainty, try to put down your phone. 

3. Now, find the bigger picture. 

While it may manifest in different ways, the results of this election will inevitably affect us all. Instead of allowing that inevitability to further add to our stress, we need to realize that often, our best support system is each other. Research shows that we feel good when we step outside of the chaos we’re feeling and support others. Also, if you’re experiencing election anxiety, it’s likely because you are at least somewhat concerned with how policy affects the areas around you. So consider reaching out to your fellow citizens, and you may discover that in addition to supporting your loved ones, you might also feel a little better yourself. Studies show that teenagers and young adults who provide tangible, emotional, or informational aid to people in crises tend to feel more strongly connected to their community. 

4. But don’t forget to take time for yourself too.

Remind yourself that especially with everything going on, you deserve to take care of yourself so don’t forget to make time for self-care. Be careful not to rely on temporary or unhealthy distractions, and instead take the time to focus on the activities and people that add value and stability to your life. Go on a walk, bake fall cookies with friends, try out a meditation challenge on Headspace, or write down 10 things you’re grateful for…there are so many options! These things might seem insignificant, but they remind us to be the people we want to be rather than obsess over the things we can’t control. 

5. Finally, remember that this is normal and we will all eventually be okay. 

Yes, this election is a big deal. Yes, I’ll say it again, there is a lot to be stressed about. However, this uncertainty will pass and I hope these tips, while certainly not a substitute for counseling with a professional or a solution for true anxiety, remind you that we will all get through this together. 

Hailee Seehusen

Vanderbilt '24

Big fan of Netflix, country music and first-year student at Vandy!
Madison Edwards

Vanderbilt '21

Madison is a Campus Trendsetter and Campus Correspondent. She is currently majoring in Human and Organizational Development at Vanderbilt University. Madison enjoys traveling and trying new foods, and can always be found drinking a good cup of coffee :)