This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

1. Don’t use African American History Month as a replacement for Black History Month.

For obvious reasons, this is something that always has the capability of pissing me off, especially when your elite university uses the terms interchangeably on the list of events for Black History Month. They. Are. Not. The. Same.

2. Support Black creators!

By supporting Black creators, we allow Black people to tell their stories and share their experiences in creative ways for multiple mediums. A good place to start would be The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas, Children of Blood Bone by Tomi Adeyemi, SZA’s CTRL, Black-ish, Grown-ish, and How to Get Away with Murder.

3. Educate yourself about Black history and lived Black experiences.

Black History Month is all about recognizing the importance of Black people and history in American society. A good place to start would be Black Perspectives, The Root, I Am Not Your Negro, Are All the Women Still White: Rethinking Race, Expanding Feminism, Janet Mock’s Redefining Realness, and Twitter users @deray, @DrIbram, @Lsax_235, @YaraShahidi, and @brokeymcpoverty

4. Don’t assume that all Black people experience their struggles, oppressions, and life the same way.

‘Nuff said.

5. Don’t stop caring about Black history when February is over.

We still exist. We still matter. Like James Baldwin said, “The story of the negro in America is the story of America.”

I'm a hesitant Texan at heart who loves books, history, Haley Blais, and Star Wars. Hope is the thing with feathers. Majoring in History and Political Science.
Muna Ikedionwu

Vanderbilt '19

Muna is studying Medical Humanities & The Arts and Corporate Strategy at Vanderbilt University. She loves supporting small businesses, watching indie films on weekends, and can talk for hours about anything from the newest addition to her skincare routine to how the digitization of political news has changed society for the better. Her motto is "Be fearless. Be authentic. Be brave enough to start a conversation that matters."