This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

When you are either stressed or having a holiday, take some time to relax. Watching TV dramas from Asia may be a soothing pastime. Here are some options to recommend I recommend you check out.

Startling by Each Step, 2011

What would you do if after electric shock, you woke up and found out that you had traveled to a feudal society and your life is now interwoven with the imperial succession? Startling by Each Step, a pioneer in the time slip genre of television dramas in Asia, presents tears and laughter intertwined with the female protagonist’s choices, which require utmost caution. The songs, poems, and settings are traditional and pleasing. Meanwhile, the plot often goes beyond expectations of the audience.

Full House, 2014

As a remake of a South Korean TV drama of the same title, this work features Thai elements. The romantic comedy depicts a fake marriage between a female writer of no fame and a stubborn artist, though it turns out to be another type of relationship in the end. The story also explores the concept of unconditional love, or what happens when the one you love does not also love you, even though you are still always there for him or her.

My Lucky Star, 2007

What sparkles will emerge when a kindhearted female designer of counterfeit jewelry is handcuffed to a rebellious race car driver, who is also an heir of a jewellery empire? Will the racing rebel trust the woman who cried wolf when family opposition, related death of a family member, and misunderstanding about money stand between the two? The TV series will amaze you by not only the sophisticated plotlines, but also the acting and soundtrack.

Brilliant Legacy, 2009

The episodes revolve around “fortune”—life insurance and unexpected wealth—which turn the female protagonist and the male protagonist into enemies. The work further examines the meaning of familial love by portraying various forms of conflicts in different families. The story line is unparalleled among South Korean television dramas.

Take a moment to immerse yourself in any of the above stories and traverse the cultural world of Asia!

Muna Ikedionwu

Vanderbilt '19

Muna is studying Medical Humanities & The Arts and Corporate Strategy at Vanderbilt University. She loves supporting small businesses, watching indie films on weekends, and can talk for hours about anything from the newest addition to her skincare routine to how the digitization of political news has changed society for the better. Her motto is "Be fearless. Be authentic. Be brave enough to start a conversation that matters."