3 Things To Do on New Year’s Eve

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Vanderbilt chapter.

Finals are finally over and you’re headed home for winter break. There’s no need t stress about your GPA and that one horrible professor is official out of your life. But now what? You’ll get to spend Christmas with your family and see your high school friends again, but after a while you’ll be ready to be back on campus. By December 26th, the excitement you felt on your way home will start to wear off and you’ll begin to miss hanging out with your roommate at 3 am on a Wednesday, grabbing dinner with your teammates after practice, and seeing your crush walk by your Rand booth everyday after class. Instead of feeling campus-sick (the exact opposite of homesickness) spend the last couple of weeks going crazy with your hometown friends and relive all the fun times you had in high school. New Year’s Eve is one week after Christmas which is the perfect time to spend an entire night celebrating your old friendships. But rather than jumping from party to party, try a few of these ideas that’ll make you wish your high school friends could fly back with you to college.

1. Host A Late Night Pizza Party

If you’re like me, Postmates isn’t a thing in your hometown so late night Chipotle deliveries can’t happen. But what you can do is order a ton of pizza for you and your friends, get dressed up and through it back to when you were in 7th grade. Except this time, instead of playing freeze tag spend the entire night dancing, playing strip poker, truth or dare, and spin the bottle because we’re not thirteen anymore.

2. Host An All-Girls Sleepover

If you have male and female friends a late night pizza party is definitely the way to go. But if you wanna spend New Year’s Eve with just your girls, a classic early 2000’s movie-style sleepover is perfect way to spend the night. Que your favorite RomComs on Netflix, pop a ton of movie theatre butter popcorn, stock up on every type of candy imaginable, and have a girls’ night in. This is also prime time to tell your juiciest college stories and rant about your hard classes.

3. Go On An Outdoor Adventure

So this one is a for the people who are wild at heart. Outdoor adventures don’t necessarily have to be in the woods, just somewhere outside of your house. Explore your hometown and do things you never did in high school. Where I live has caves and waterfalls, a drive in theatre, and a historic district all within a 30 minute drive. I’ve never explored any of them during the night and New Year’s Eve would be the a great time to do it. Not only will I get to know where I live better, but I’ll also be outside when all the fireworks go off :)

Muna Ikedionwu

Vanderbilt '19

Muna is studying Medical Humanities & The Arts and Corporate Strategy at Vanderbilt University. She loves supporting small businesses, watching indie films on weekends, and can talk for hours about anything from the newest addition to her skincare routine to how the digitization of political news has changed society for the better. Her motto is "Be fearless. Be authentic. Be brave enough to start a conversation that matters."