Your Guide to the Perfect Hydrating Skincare Routine for the Colder Months

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Keeping clear skin in the summertime is a hassle. Trying to find an SPF that doesn’t make you greasy, applying moisturizer that doesn’t add that oily shine, and keeping your pores open can be seemingly impossible. However, the chilly winter months aren’t any easier on your skin. But with the right skincare routine, you can keep that dewy glow year round!

Choosing your cleanser

Whether you have dry, medium, or oily skin, it’s important to find a quality facial cleanser. Depending on where you live, the winter and fall months are typically cold and dry, which can wreak havoc on your complexion. To maintain the integrity of your skin, it’s crucial to look for a gentle moisturizing face wash that doesn’t damage your skin. This can help to maintain your skins elasticity and keep you feeling moisturized all day.

Skincare products are displayed on a floral background.
Original photo by Kate Green

To exfoliate, or not to exfoliate

While that silky smooth skin after exfoliating feels good, be careful not to over-exfoliate. This can lead to excessive dryness, and in some cases even excessive oil production. It can also open your skin up to infection and cause major irritation. It’s good to keep it down to once or twice a week (depending on your skins texture) and always moisturize afterwards with a gentle and fragrance-free facial moisturizer. Your exfoliating product should be gentle, and you shouldn’t be seeing any excessive redness after exfoliating.

The Moisturizer that’s right for you

When choosing a moisturizer, sometimes it’s worth it to splurge a little bit. It may be difficult to select one if you have oily skin, so try something water based. As someone with unbearably oily skin, I swear by the Peter Thomas Roth Hyaluronic Cloud Cream Moisturizer. It feels light on my skin, and I can wear it throughout the day without having to worry about the shiny forehead predicament that all of us oily gals face. For those with medium to dry skin, moisturizer may be the most important step in your skincare routine. The colder months can be detrimental to the integrity of your skin, and adding a protective layer of moisturizer can be a lifesaver.

don’t forget the sunscreen

When the weather cools off, it can become easier to skip the SPF. However, the sun is just as harmful to your skin in the winter and fall as it is in the summer. Finding a moisturizing and quality SPF is very important to avoid sun damage and wrinkles. Sunlight is made up of three types of UV light which penetrate the skin and can lead to skin cell mutations, which cause skin cancer, wrinkles, and dark spots/redness. Shielding your skin from the harmful rays of the sun can lead to a more youthful appearance, and most importantly, better health. You can often find moisturizers that also act as an SPF to cut down the cost and time of your everyday skincare routine.

overnight self care

Cotton pillowcases are damaging to your skin and hair, as they create friction when you move around at night. This can lead to dryness, redness, and irritation. Investing in a silk or satin pillowcase is completely worth it. Your hair and skin will thank you!

break the bad habits

Picking at your skin is a bad habit that many of us can’t seem to shake. By picking at your skin, you are opening it up to the bacteria found on the skin and nails, irritating it, and not giving it time to heal. Hydrocolloid bandaids have helped me to stop picking, and they also are a great hack for quickly clearing up pimples. They can be found at most drugstores, and they can draw out dirt and bacteria from existing pimples and blackheads. If you’re having a really hard time quitting, try investing in a fidget toy. It sounds silly, but having something harmless to do with your hands can be a lifesaver for your skin.

focus on your health

Remember, texture is completely natural. Despite what Hollywood and the media show us, no one has “perfect skin.” Your goal for taking care of your skin should begin with your overall health, and a flawless complexion may come with that. Everyones skin is different, so experiment with different products and find what works for you. Beauty is not one-size-fits-all, and our unique differences are what make us beautiful!

• HCXO!
Kennedy Brice

Valdosta '25

Lover of anything and everything. Writer, artist, student. Stay curious.