Women’s History Month: The Revolutionary Lucille Ball

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

You might know the legendary, classy and comedic Lucille Ball from the show I Love Lucy. This show, premiered in 1951, was one of the most legendary and popular comedy shows in that time period. Lucille Ball was an empowering woman who was not afraid to defy the norms. She was daring and was truly a timeless entertainer. She opened up opportunities and inspired female comedians to pursue their dreams. A major milestone for Ball was that she was the first woman to run a major television studio. She opened her own production company and chased after her dreams.

When I Love Lucy first premiered on televisions across the nation, the idea of the “American Dream” was mainly a male’s dream. Women often played supporting roles on television. However, she defied this and she was responsible for the impact it left on people. In addition, Lucille Ball was an advocate for women’s rights. She was one of the first openly pregnant woman depicted on T.V. Back then, sexuality was not expressed widely onscreen. With the idea of her character being pregnant, it insinuated sex. Lucille Ball was big about breakthroughs. She showed women can do what men can do, and that was not common back in the 1950s.

She was different and wasn’t afraid of being different. She did not look like any typical female movie star, and she fought for other people’s rights too. She was a woman of many firsts. Through her voice and her role, she took part in changing the traditional mindsets of Americans across the country.

HCXO!

Sylvia Leong is a mass media major at Valdosta State University hoping to achieve her goal of securing a job in sports broadcasting. This Georgia peach loves all shades of blue, football season, and charming her way with sarcasm. Follow on Instagram and Twitter: svia96
Her Campus at Valdosta State.