Women’s History Month: Cicely Tyson: An Outstanding Woman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

As soon as we see Ms. Tyson in a movie or TV series, we just know her performance is going to be amazing. Not only is she an outstanding actress but also a truly genuine and remarkable individual. We truly love Ms. Tyson because she is a strong woman, who sticks up for what she believes in. 

Cicely Tyson acted in many classic movies such as Fried Green Tomatoes, Roots, and The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman. She is a very thoughtful woman and carefully chose the movies she decided to act in. This was because Ms. Tyson cared about the message of films and wanted to TRULY make a difference. When she was younger, her mother did not agree on her choice to act for a living, which we all can imagine is a hard fact to face. Despite her mothers feelings, she continued to pursue her dreams in acting. 

Those differences made, led to countless nominations for Ms. Tyson, including her becoming the first black woman to win an Emmy for lead actress in a drama.  In 1977, she was inducted into the Black Filmmakers Hall of Fame. NAACP also named Cicely Tyson as the 95th Spingarn Medalist. Ms. Tyson also has a school named after her located in New Jersey called The Cicely L. Tyson Community School of Performing and Fine Arts. Her inspirational accomplishments do not stop here as she was also awarded a Hollywood Walk of Fame star, won a Tony award, and much more!

An Empowering and inspirational woman for individuals all over, Ms. Cicely Tyson has definitely left her positive mark on people all over and will continue to do so.  

“Challenges make you discover things about yourself that you never really knew. They’re what make the instrument stretch – what make you go beyond the norm.” – Cicely Tyson

Freshman at Valdosta State University, Love fashion,positive vibes, and laughing! Enjoying every day like it's my last.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.