Women Rock: Meet Lakeisha Logan

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

This week I interviewed the amazing La’keisha Logan. She is a full-time college student (Biology major, to be exact!) AND cofounder of the Second Wind Showcase. She is the definition of hard work and dedication. I’m excited for you all to read this interview on her journey with the showcase, and get inspired!

Getting to know the CoFounder!

1.       Let’s just start with you telling us a little about yourself!

I’m a 22-year-old (I’ll be 23 in October) biology major from the small city of Sparks, GA  

2.       What is your biggest fear?

I honestly don’t have any fears, my biggest fear used to be a fear of failure, BUT as I’ve grown I realized that I can use my failure as a guide to do better than I have done in the past.  

3.       Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

In five years I see myself helping the community more than I ever have before I have big plans it’s the execution that I’m trying to figure out.

4.       Who are your biggest inspirations?

My biggest inspiration was the struggle, I don’t know if that could be considered an inspiration, but it was. My struggle built character it showed me it’s something better for me than what I’ve already lived. It also gave me a boost to do all I needed to do to become better than the environment that I grew up in. And because of my struggle, I want to show my little nieces and nephews that they can be anything they want to be because their aunt did it.

All about Second Wind!

5.       How did Second Wind Showcase get it starts?

Honestly one day I and the other cofounder were talking about cleaning up the community we live in, and it leads to us talking about the talented individuals from our town. Once we realized that it’s so much talent we decided at that moment to make a list, make some phone calls, inbox some people and see if they wanted to join in to show the world that little Cook Co. had a lot to give, but it ended up expanding and our talent not only came from South Ga but also from North, Ga, and Florida.

6.       Where does the name “Second Wind” come from/what does it mean to you?

The hardest part was figuring out the name lol, but the showcase it’s the second burst of energy a lot of times small time artists give up on themselves, this showcase gives them the ability to show off their love of art, music, painting or designing.

7.       Has being an entrepreneur always been a dream of yours? If not, where did the idea come from?

I’ve always wanted to start a business, I never thought this would be it, a simple conversation that we had led to something that seems a bit bigger than us.

8.       What has been the toughest part of your journey with Second Wind? What is something you tell yourself to keep going?

Money! We are broke college students and we funded the 1st showcase completely on our own, and we don’t charge as of now. But thankfully we received donations from people that believe in us for the 2nd one, it’s still expensive but we know that it will all work out.

9.       If you can remember a specific day or time, tell us about the hardest day you had with Second Wind Showcase?

The day of. None of us had eaten, the rehearsal went fine but right before the show we had technical difficulties and although we put on a smile deep down we were kinda like “I hope this doesn’t fail” But Her computer started and the show began.

10.   What has been the best day for Second Wind Showcase?

The day of lol, because we saw the way the crowd liked the performers, we were on Facebook live and the audience there loved it. The atmosphere was full of love and support and that’s all that we could ask for that day.

11.   Have you noticed any hardships along your journey strictly pertaining to you being a woman entrepreneur that you don’t think you would’ve experienced if you were a man?

No.

12.   What is something that you didn’t know about starting Second Wind Showcase that you wish you would have known when you started?

Guidance on how shows are run, because this was our first one we didn’t know what type of acoustics the building had so it echoed a bit also lighting it was TERRIBLE lol but it was okay because we are definitely growing from that in this upcoming show on November 11.

13.   How do you juggle college and entrepreneurship?

It’s not as hard as I thought it would be because we share responsibilities if it were only me then I feel like it would be a bit harder.

14.   With 2018 being right around the corner, what are some goals that you have for Second Wind Showcase the upcoming year?

BIGGER SHOW, bigger venue, a bigger city we are attempting to move the Second Wind Showcase to ATLANTA. In 2018 I hope that everyone has heard of the show and when they hear about it the associate it with us.

15.   Do you see Second Wind Showcase branching out into other areas of business?

Yes. We love art of all types and hopefully, we have the opportunity to pair with some of the vendors to create clothing, and maybe have our own line. Also at some point, we hope to have made some connections with local studios for an option to add if an artist were to win the showcase.  

Fun Questions!

16.   If you could see anyone famous person headlining at Second Wind Showcase, who would it be?

Because I love so many artists that is definitely hard! I would have to go with Jhene Aiko or Sevyn Streeter.

17.    If you received the chance to have a showcase in any city in the world, where would it be? Why?

Egypt, Because I always wanted to go there and plus I’m sure that the visual art there is phenomenal.

18.   Who has been your favorite performance at the showcase so far?

That is so hard because they are soooooo great each and every one of them for most hype I would go with Slade G for most lyrical I would have to go with Lang Amaru, even though everyone else was dope that’s what makes it so hard shoot.

19.   Give a shout out to your top 3 supporters!

So it’s the typically: our parents were our greatest supporters. But they performers were definitely supporting us 100%. They were behind this showcase and we are definitely thankful for meeting them. The owner of the venue Andrell Durden, he was definitely helpful in every way he could be by even spreading the word through the community, and helping us get things together.

20.   Is there anything else that you would like for the readers to know about Second Wind Showcase that we didn’t cover in the interview

The showcase will be on Nov. 11, 2017, from 7 PM- 9 PM at Red Door Records. Tell everyone you know to be there we have a great line up.

Markesia Barron is a senior at Valdosta State University. She majors in Middle Grades Education concentrated in Language Arts and Reading. After graduation, she plans to become a middle school Language Arts teacher in the Metro Atlanta area. Markesia enjoys writing, reading, super-hero movies, and meditating outside. She's a big Beyonce fan and self-care enthusiast.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.