This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Hey beautiful ladies!

Cuffing season is on the horizon! You know what that means!? Absolutely nothing if you’re not in tune with the person you plan on being boo’d up with.

Love is a beautiful thing. When entering a potential relationship, we hope that it will stand the test of time and it’ll be all rainbows and butterflies. While rainbows and butterflies are cool or whatever, we all know that’s some bullsh*t. Not everyone is in tune with their love language(s), which makes it hard to even go about a relationship. It’s pretty trash not to be in tune with yourself actually. How can you expect anything out of a relationship when you don’t know what you want for yourself? Sounds like a waste of time, but don’t worry; I’m here to help (hopefully). Considering that I have been severely single for the past four years and that I had to look up these love languages, my “expertise” might not be as credible. I’m just glad you’ve gotten this far. Let’s continue!Love language is very important, and not knowing our love language can make or break any relationship we establish. The five love languages are:

• Words of Affirmation (“Yes, ma! Go and be great with your lavender!”)
  • Acts of Service (Making your/their favorite dish or buying products when you/they run out)
  • Receiving Gifts  (Receiving your favorite flowers just because)
  • Quality Time (Boo’d up on the couch watching Netflix)
  • Physical Touch (A hug, a kiss, a smack, etc.)

Now that we are aware of the five love languages, it’s important to know why you should learn your love language.

• It makes it easier for your S/O to cater to your needs.

Let’s be real; your partner is not psychic, so this is the worst time to be passive aggressive. If you like a certain type of affection, then speak on that sh*t! You’ve both agreed on joining each other to not only build a future but to cater to each other’s needs. Communication, my good sisters, goes a long way. Your love language could be extremely different from what your S/O is used to. They might’ve been raised a lot differently from you and vice versa. So, don’t penalize them because you can’t communicate. Your mouth is more than a vessel for food or whatever else you use it for, so SPEAK.

• It makes you feel appreciated.

There’s nothing more rewarding than when everything in a relationship is going great. This is where those rainbows and butterflies come into play. Relationships that have lasted many years are based off of that appreciation (+ other key elements), and the feeling of appreciation will go a longer way than feelings of uncertainty. We stan appreciative partners! They deserve all the love!

• Gives you a better understanding of love languages in general.

Quite honestly before writing this article, I wasn’t aware of the term “love language” at all. After reading about the different types of love languages and seeing them played out in many relationships, I’ve realized how crucial it is to know not only your love language but the next person’s love language. NEVER treat your current relationship like the last one. We’re all about moving forward ladies, am I right?

I hope this helps out a little bit. If not, then I’m sorry. Like I said, I’m single so my advice might be hitting on nothing. 

With love + effective language,

-Marissa Auriell 

HCXO!

Dom Pollard

Valdosta '22

Dom is a sophomore, majoring in Interdisciplinary Studies with concentrations in African American Studies and Sociology. They plan on doing work in either education, activism, film, or all three. They are a queer individual who speaks their mind and provides love + other elements to bring perspective to HERCampus Valdosta. HCXO!