Why We Can’t Get Enough of Serena Williams

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

When you talk about women in sports you can’t help but bring up Serena Williams. She is an all-around dominate character in the world of professional tennis not to mention she embodies the symbol of excellence. Whether she’s on the court or off the court, she’s the “it” girl we just can’t get enough of.

1. Serena Williams and winning are pretty much synonymous.

It’s no secret that Serena is the most talked about athlete for the simple fact that she wins. She has 21 Grand Slam titles and that’s just the tip of the iceberg. Her list of achievements and awards are absolutely mind blowing. Serena’s career record, for singles, is 737-123. With a record like that no wonder she’s considered the fiercest competitor on the circuit.

2. Her style off the tennis court makes you wish she was your stylist.

Most of the times Serena is only shown in her athletic clothes but when she steps out, she steps out in style! Serena’s style is just as fierce as her game and when she is on a red carpet or maybe just out and about you can tell she’s into fashion. In fact she’s been running her own clothing line, Aneres, since 2004.

3. Let’s be honest…her style on the court also makes us wish she was our stylist.

It’s been 13 years since Serena wore a black leather catsuit to the 2002 U.S. Open and it’s still her most talked about outfit. While the catsuit might have been a little much for most, it was still fun that she had a chance to get away from the standard skort that you normally see on women. Serena continuously makes steps in fashion on and off the court. 

4. She takes business risks…and they pay off.

In 2004, Serena signed a $40 million dollar contract with Nike and she continues to be the most noticeable face of the brand. Also in 2009, Serena and her sister, Venus, became part owners of the Miami Dolphins. This makes them the first African-American women to hold an amount of ownership in any National Football League franchise!

5. She has a thing for musicians.

Serena has been linked with the artist Common and recently, but not fully verified, is her relationship with Drake. She seems to have good taste in clothes, business ventures, and music but her choice in men might just take the cake.  

6. Serena has body confidence down packed and we’re forever grateful.

Serena over the last couple of years has come under attack about her body image with most of the remarks concerning how muscular she is, yet she never seems phased. She has taught many people to just love the skin they’re in and that’s awesome coming from someone of such a high profile. I mean honestly, you think she gets all those wins from skipping leg day at the gym? I don’t think so.

In a world where people are glorified for not doing much, there’s always a role model that’s doing it all. Serena Williams is undoubtedly one of the best in her sport, but more importantly she sets a great example of what hard work and dedication can get you in life,

HCXO!

Rineta is a Speech Communication major at Valdosta State University, with an emphasis in public relations. She aspires to have a career in sports media relations one day. In her free time she enjoys binge watching shows written by Shonda Rimes on Netflix, reading professional athlete autobiographies and being the friend who laughs too much. Follow her- IG/Twitter: _rrainey
Her Campus at Valdosta State.