Why Pharrell Says We Should All Be Happy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

There’s a reason why you can’t get help but nod your head and sing along to “Happy” by Pharrell every time you hear it! It truly is a beautiful song, and makes you feel like a room without a roof, even on a bad day! However, did you know it took Pharrell nine times to perfect the hit song? Nine times! The song is pure genius and is recognized globally as the happiest song ever. It will also forever be celebrated thanks to Pharrell teaming up with the UN, creating the International Day of Happiness on March 20. Pharrell is one of my favorite people and represents all-around positivity that he wants everyone to embrace. After watching his interview with Oprah (which everyone needs to see!) I realized why Pharrell wants everyone to be happy and to always be no one but his or her self. Don’t worry, be happy!

“Life is a lesson… It’s a series of adjustments and you have to start to recognize the signs.”

Pharrell references The Alchemist as the book that changed his life. It’s recommended for anyone who is searching to find their purpose. The book defines purpose as striving for your passion; the universe will rise up to meet you and pave the way for opportunities to be successful. It’s a beautiful lesson that is so true. It’s about not being afraid to dream and go after what you want. No matter what it is you want, you have to get to know yourself and love everything about it. Learn to embrace the people and the experiences you’ve encountered, and understand that it all happens for a reason.

“I misinterpreted what Jay [Z] was doing. What I didn’t realize was that Jay and Puff [P. Diddy] were serving their purpose(s)… I was paying attention to the pixie dust in the magic trick.”

Pharrell reflects on a time where he had to be real with himself and even saying his early work wasn’t genuine. He explains he “wasn’t ready” then, in comparison to the artist he has molded into today. He was comparing himself to others and tried to be like them in a way that, in the process, caused him to lose his own purpose. There are too many times we tend to veer off course of our destiny looking at the path of someone else. You have to realize, others have a calling and a life completely different from yours and even the next person. Share your own gift with the world and they will accept it for that reason alone!

“There is a perception that is catered to everyday called a male dominated world… If women wanted to shut this country down, all they would have to do is not go to work and not come home.”

Pharrell is an open advocate for women’s rights. His views inspired his most recent album, G I R L. More so for human equality, Pharrell just wants to point out that women are an important piece to society. Women deserve all the respect and rights for the simple fact that we are the only ones who can carry a child. It’s such a true statement and speaks volumes about equality in America. I love it, go girls!

“The new black dreams and realizes that it’s not a pigmentation; it’s a mentality. And it’s either going to work for you, or it’s going to work against you. And you have to pick the side you’re going to be on.”

Redefining the term “black”, Pharrell puts a spin on it and says there is a new black. This new black doesn’t “blame other races for [its] issues.” There is no such thing; it’s all in the mind. Pharrell says, “You should not find confidence outside of your mirror,” meaning you don’t have to let the color of your skin define you. Live your life proud of who you are.

In this interview, I learned that Pharrell has such a kind and honest heart. His mind is open to life and he does what he knows best: music. Everyone loves his music and everyone loves him! Oprah claimed this as one of her all-time favorite interviews, and I see why. He’s beginning an epidemic; happiness and love is real and everywhere! Love life and happy living!

An interior design major at VSU, & a creative genius.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.