Why it is Important for Women to Celebrate International Women’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Women should be celebrated every day, they are goddesses. However, it’s that time of year when the world acknowledges every woman that has taken a stand for women’s equality, a date named International Women’s Day. On this date, it is worthwhile to take some time out of your day to reflect on the achievements of women before you, because it is important to know about how your rights evolved. It is important because as a woman, you need to know what it meant to be a woman in previous eras. Knowing this helps you to understand the struggle women before you had to overcome. When looking back on women’s history, we learn that women are strong because of the challenges they faced just because of their gender. Understanding women’s struggles from the past can help you sculpt your future and the future of the women who come after you.

women with different body types
Photo by Anna Shvets from Pexels

When a woman knows where she comes from, she can understand the power she holds. When you as a woman face challenges, you can go back to look at familiar challenges other women have faced before you and learn from those women. You learn what is right and what is wrong. Therefore, you will know and understand the correct way to handle the situation. For example, knowing the history of women’s struggles for equal rights taught later generations that you as a woman have the same rights as a man, are just as smart, and just as good at getting things done—maybe even better. As an example, women did not have the right to join the military until they had the opportunity to prove they deserved the same rights as men and were capable to fight alongside them. Women are not weak and can hold their own with the men in the military. When the military accepted women, they learned that women were capable to play major roles just as well as men.

Never let someone tell you that you cannot do something because you were born a woman. A woman can do anything she puts her mind to. As a woman, you have the right to prove them wrong. Women’s history has shown the world many different examples that affirm women have the right to sit alongside men. Women are capable of achieving anything, and it should be each woman’s goal to make the world a better place for the women who will come after them. If you are a woman (or a man), celebrate women’s history on International Women’s Day by challenging anyone who believes a woman is less capable than a man. Women are capable of doing anything a man can do, and more. Happy International Women’s Day!

Bonny is a transfer student from Georgia Military College, having obtained her associates degree in communication science in Summer 2020. She then transferred to Valdosta State in Fall 2020. She is now a mass media major in her junior year, looking to experience media like she never dreamed of! Bonny's hope that someday her work reaches you and many more.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.