This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Sexual health is extremely important to your mental and physical health. Sexual health is a topic that isn’t really talked about and is seen as a taboo topic, but educating and talking about it can help many people. The World Health Organization (also known as WHO) is one of the leading organizations that promote and educate people on sexual health. According to WHO, sexual health is every human being having the “possibility of having pleasurable and safe sexual experiences, free of coercion, discrimination and violence”.

Now you’re probably wondering why sexual health is important. Practicing sexual health impacts not only your life, but it also involves the person or people you’re involved with. Sex education in school, especially in the United States, is a topic that isn’t really talked about and if it is talked about, it’s poorly discussed. They mostly focus on absence, instead of educating people on how to engage in safe sex.

Safety is an important factor in sexual health. This includes hormonal methods, condoms, consent and communication. Hormonal methods such as the IUDs, the patch, the ring, and the pill are all ways to stay safe. These methods can prevent the spread of STIs, but aren’t super effective in preventing any unwanted pregnancies. Condoms can help prevent the spread of STIs and pregnancy, but it is not a 100% effective. Consent and communication is exceptionally important. Sex should be enjoyable for everyone involved, and if you feel uncomfortable at any moment, it’s okay to stop. You should never feel bad for communicating what you want and feel. Both parties need to consent to all activities. If you, or you know someone, that is experiencing or experienced sexual abuse, consult to a trusted person that can help. If you can’t, you can always contact the National Sexual Assault Hotline at 800-656-4673 or at online.rain.org.

-HCXO

Emily Harmon

Valdosta '25

Hey, my name is Emily Harmon. I’m currently a freshman at Valdosta State University, and I am majoring in Early Education. I am from a small town in Georgia, but I have moved around a lot due to being in a military family. I love plants, traveling, hanging out with friends, reading, and writing. As a young queer woman, I want to inspire and encourage others to learn to love themselves and to be who they are.