What’s Your Thing?: 5 Options on What to Collect!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

When traveling over the summer, I was faced with a choice that I didn’t often have to think about. What was going to be my souvenir? What was going to be my thing that I collect every time I go to a different state or city or country and bring back as a momento to cherish the moment in memories? Well, I never got a chance to figure that out before I left Las Vegas oh, but now that I’ve received my first album for my birthday oh, I’m wondering if that should be my thing? Here are my other options and my thoughts on them:

Screenshot 20211008 223939

Records: now i have no idea of how much these are, as my first was a gift, but I think this would be a cute idea… unless you dont listen to a lot of albums… But if you do and its not too expensive, and you really like music, try that! And thanks to modern technology, you dont need to have a recird player to listen to the album (unless you want one… and now I do).

Bath & bodyworks: I once saw a youtube video that reminded me that not all B&BWs carry the same scents at the same time. Now this may be a strange idea for a souvenir as people use items from B&BW and then replace them, but i think it would be funny if someone asked whst you were wearing and you responded with “Kansas”.

Paper cranes: It’s a bit of a DIY but think about it… if you take a sheet of paper in whatever pattern or color (or both) you associate with the destination, fold your crane in that location, take it home and hang it up… youl have a nice display of paper cranes once youve reached a certain number of travels. This is best if you have a home and plan to do thr 50 states. Screenshot 20211008 224143

Jars: Now tjis is a stretch but if youre a person who believes in enrgy and vibes, and you travel to places that dont have walmarts or souvenir shops, just take a jar, open it, close it, and never ooen it again. This way you can collect the good energy or vibe from that area and bring it homw with you without taking something that might harm the ecosystem or economy. You can decorate the outside of the jar in ways thst remimd you of that location! You can get littleones or big ones on amazon. Screenshot 20211008 224037

Selfies and strangers: this is a good way to make new friends if you travel to the same locations often. This isnt the newest of ideas but it would be cute to have these polaroids of new people youve met in new (or old) places. Great for photo albums and garlands.

Thinking of souvenir ideas is a bit of challenge but hopefully with these, news ideas will spark.

hcxo

Zyaria Wright

Valdosta '24

Hi! I'm Zyaria (Zye-air-ruh) and I'm a Psych major. This is my second year at VSU and I'm trying to get more involved… so here I am! I'm an creative person and I dabble in many areas ranging from traditional art to book binding to lifting to dance. I just love forms of self expression! I also watch anime, collect crystals, and game on my Xbox. I'm cis-het and afro-latinx.