This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

I’m a newbie to the lipstick game myself, but I’ve come to realize just how essential it can be. We’re talking about the perfect accessory that can top off a look and pull it together all with one application. It should be noted that each owner of lipstick gravitates toward a certain color or type no matter the variety of the collection. It’s something like a go-to, but there is more to it than we may think. What does your lipstick say about you?

Your look is relaxed, but you need a little POP! 

Picture your outfit being something like a plain white tee, distressed jeans, and a basic shoe. What’s going to make this look complete? A nice, classic red lip. The shade is your preference, whether you want it toned up or toned down. Either way, a simple look won’t be nearly as simple if there’s an attention grabber—like Monte Carlo by NYX.

You go lipstick first and outfit second

Sometimes we have in mind what we want our face to look like and then what we planned to wear needs a little spicing up. So it’s back to the drawing board simply because you want your lippie to compliment, not necessarily act as the main attraction.

You’re making a statement

In this instance, you’re purposefully trying to “dress it up and make it real” (in the words of Future). Even though you make a statement wherever you go, sometimes it’s more intentional at times than others. When you want to turn heads, you might choose a deep plum color with an edgy lip liner or a brownish-gold like DM by Colourpop (even if some names of their lipsticks are offensive).

Lipstick doesn’t have to be dramatic, natural, or bold, but it will always make you beautiful just because of its presence on your lips. It’s only the secret touch to boost your confidence and make your appearance a little brighter than before! No matter the scenario, always wear something that compliments YOU— even if it’s just chapstick.

-HCxo!

Nia Lewis

Valdosta

My name is Nia which means purpose in Swahili and I am currently finding it and trying to live up to it. I'm a senior at Valdosta State University, my major is Communication Disorders--translation: I am an aspiring Speech-Language Pathologist. Nothing makes me happier than the people I love, affection, a good book, a blank journal, and the beach. I'm sure I left a few things off of the list, but you get the point.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.