What It’s Like to Hate Football During the Super Bowl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Cheering. Yelling. Running. Scoring. I’m not a fan. I’ve never been into the whole sports scene, and here I am on the day of the Superbowl. One might think yesterday was some sort of Holy Day based on how it all goes. There is a quiet buzz throughout the day as people enjoy lazy Sunday mornings, coupled with a hustle and bustle of last minute party preparations. Then there’s me, planning for the week ahead and picking my next Netflix binge watch.

The Falcons made it to the big game this year which is, apparently, a big deal. No offense Falcons, way to go! It’s just that everyone around me is filled with an entirely genuine feeling of pride and excitement while I am still trying to catch up on what a first down is. For all of you reading this and cringing, I know you’re doing it, just know that I am happy you have something that makes you happy. This article really just goes out to the football challenged gems like myself who feel lost in the time-consuming obsession the rest of our country seems to be a part of.

I don’t know much about football, but there are a few things I have learned to love. Football food is phenomenal. Not even any specific food, because I love it all. It just seems that all football lovers and parties know what they are doing when it comes to the food! There tends to be a lot of it and more often than not, it’s that bad-for-you-tastes-amazing kind of food. Think, wings, burgers, pizza, all things American. I might not be able to get on board with the game, but I sure can appreciate some good food.

Growing up, my dad always tried to teach me about the game. I genuinely wanted to learn because I always felt like the odd one out not knowing jack-squat about it. I would ask about what points were earned when, the good moves along with the bad ones, and what certain calls meant. If you haven’t already guessed, I never caught on. However, there is one thing that I actually did internalize and understand. My dad taught my about my very favorite part of the game: running the ball. For anyone reading who is like me, when they run the ball the clock keeps on running too. Anyone who knows anything about football has a clear understanding of how long the games can be. I took this piece of information and savored it, anytime I got stuck watching a game I knew one thing. I wanted them to run the ball so that clock would get closer and closer to zero.

If you are a sports enthusiast, don’t let me get you down! I hope that you kept the spirit of excitement going, enjoyed the big game, and indulged in some good food. I was definitely laughing at commercials and waiting on the half-time show.

HCXO!

Alex is an easy going and bubbly person who has a passion for all things creative. She is pursuing a degree in Psychology at Valdosta State University and loving her experiences along the way. Instagram & Twitter: alex_gmann
Her Campus at Valdosta State.