etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What I Wish I Knew Before Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

College is where you figure out who you are and who you want to be in life. In four short years, you’ll encounter serious challenges and experiences that will shape you into a new person. Freshman year marks the beginning of that change. I remember being a clueless freshman who had never been away from home. I was very curious and very nervous. I had no idea what to expect or how I was going to make friends. Now that I’m near the end of my college career, I’d like to share everything I learned with anyone who’s about to take on this new adventure. 

1. Everyone is just as scared as you are                                                                                                                                                                                                               

Don’t be afraid to introduce yourself to your new classmates. Freshman year is the perfect time to meet all kinds of people and find your group friends. But don’t let yourself get mixed in with the wrong crowd because you want to fit in.  

2. Don’t Get Distracted

SHOW UP FOR CLASS AND SHOW UP ON TIME. Being on your own means being accountable for your actions. Your parents aren’t going to be there to wake you up for school and make sure you get to class on time. It’s okay to have fun buts it’s important to keep up with your studies.    

3. Get Involved

There are tons of organizations on campus with a lot to offer. Not only do extracurricular activities look good on your resume, they also allow you to showcase your leadership skills and your ability to work as a team. Joining an organization also helps you get out of your dorm room and meet new people. 

4. Make Time for You                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

You’ll have some of your lowest days in college. Battling the office of financial aid, struggling to maintain your GPA and managing your social life can become exhausting over time. Take time out of your day/week to do something that genuinely makes you happy and allows you to clear your mind. Every college campus has a mental health department equipped with trained counselors. If you ever need help, don’t hesitate to reach out. 

5. Make the most out of it                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

Everyone refers to college as “the best four years of your life.” While I don’t know whether this is true or not, I’m going to hope your best years are not confined to one very short chapter of your life. But I encourage every freshman to make each year better than the last because you only get one chance. This is your time to be free from responsibility and pressure to figure out the rest of your life. Enjoy it!

Jada Dukes

Valdosta '18

Jada Dukes is a Senior English-Journalism major at Valdosta State University who was born and raised in Warner Robins. Outside of HerCampus, She's written for the VSU Spectator,  MyGeorgiaHometown Magazine and  SouthGeorgiaToday.com. She's also Editor in Chief for the Student run General Interest magazine, OnTap. Her Hobbies include reading, writing and binge watching TV dramas with a strong female lead. Her largest goal in life is to one day meet Oprah and then become her. 
Her Campus at Valdosta State.