What College Is Really Like: Expectations vs. Reality

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

So, #Vstate18, you’ve conquered your first week! Only 15 more weeks to go! That’s not that bad, right?

Now, I’m sure you all have left home with extremely high expectations for what your experience in college would be like. The only thing about even having expectations is that sometimes things may not turn out the way you envisioned.

What you read in books or see on television and movies doesn’t fully capture what you’ll experience your first year. And while everyone’s experience is different, you learn throughout the semesters that things just don’t happen the way you imagined they would – good or bad. Here are a few expectations you might have had before you got to college, along with a few realities you’ll face while you’re here:

Expectation

Mr. Right will come and sweep you off your feet and you both will live happily ever after.

Reality

There are dozens of Mr. Wrongs amongst you. Beware.

Expectation

Your laundry and all other chores will miraculously be taken care of.

Reality

Your laundry basket will overflow and your chores will pile up until YOU take care of them.

Expectation

Forgot to do that homework assignment? Ah, your professor will let you turn it in another time.

Reality

Wrong. A deadline is a deadline and when it’s not met, you don’t get the grade… or at the least the one you desire.

This is not to say that there aren’t some lenient professors, but more often than not, you’re required to complete assignments and hand them in on time.  

Expectation

You’re going to eat a five star meal every day.

Reality

Unless you have a personal chef, you’re not. You’ll more than likely be a regular at the dining halls, blowing through your Blazer Bucks (now called Diner Dollars) at one of the food restaurants on campus, heating up various packets of Ramen noodles, or eating snacks on snacks on snacks.

Expectation

Every night on the town will be great.

Reality

Sure, there will be great nights to remember… but there will also be horrible nights you’ll want to forget.

Expectation

You’ll be balling out of control.

Reality

You won’t. It isn’t college unless you’re scraping up change for a McChicken or a honey bun out of the vending machine.

Expectation

You’ll plan out days and times you intend to study.

Reality

Last minute studying and a few cups of coffee may just sum many of your nights… and mornings.

Expectation

Everyday you’ll look like you stepped out of a fashion magazine.

Reality

Even if it’s for one day out of the year, you will look like a plain jane. Best-case scenario: you’ll be in something that matches. Worst-case scenario: you’ll look like you got dressed in the dark or just rolled out of bed.

Expectation

The friends you meet now will be your friends forever.

Reality

Truth be told, you may drift apart from the friends you meet in your first year. It’s nothing to worry about or stress over because there’s always room for new ones. Branch out!

Expectation

Going home will always be great; food will be in abundance, all of your old friends will be in town, and you’ll get to relax while you’re there. Life is great.

Reality

Your parents will annoy you more than they ever have before. Since you’re not in the household anymore, their fridge might resemble your empty mini fridge back in your dorm. Your old friends have lives. You’ll still have chores to do. What is life?!

Expectation

You’ll hit the gym often.

Reality

You may only hit the gym… once a month. Ironically, as important as staying fit is, hitting the gym may be at the bottom of your to-do list. Just remember, the “freshman 15” is real.

Expectation

You’ll have so much free time.

Reality

Slowly but surely your leisure time will be eaten up by responsibilities like putting in hours at your low paying job or an organization on campus.

Expectation

You’ll arrive to class 5 minutes early or on time.

Reality

The snooze button on your alarm clock will become your best friend… or worst enemy.

Expectation

The weather here will be like Florida!

Reality

The weather here in Valdosta will have you considering transferring (it is THAT hot).

Expectation

You’re prepared to make adult decisions.

Reality

Your parents’ number remains on speed dial for every thing from asking how to put oil in your car to getting them to handle your financial aid troubles.

Expectation

Everyone will flock to you and become your friend.

Reality

Unless you step outside of your dorm and network, Netflix and your bed will be your only friends.

Expectations

Your roommate will become your best friend.

Reality

The saying is true: you never really know someone unless you live with them.

Expectation

Time is on your side.

Reality

Time actually flies and you’ll be a senior and approaching graduation before you know it!

Learn as much as you can, but make smart decisions! Enjoy your freshman year because you only get one!

HCXO

Her Campus at Valdosta State.