Weekend Trip Locations: VSU Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Sometimes as college students we tend to over work ourselves and put our all into our studies which can lead to stress and a general lack of happiness. Although Valdosta State University and the city of Valdosta itself has tons to offer; a break from it all is often very much needed. Here are five places you and your friends can go that are nearby, perfect for a weekend trip and offer fun, relaxation and something different from the college town we all are so used to.

1. St. Augustine, FL

In St. Augustine, FL you’ll find quaint restaurants, relaxing hotels and beautiful views. What sets St. Augustine apart from other cities in Florida is its historic value. It is the oldest European settlement in the United States. This is the perfect place for a peaceful and romantic trip with your significant other!

Things to Do:

• St. Augustine Wild Reserve
  • St. Augustine Beach
  • St. Augustine Lighthouse & Museum
  •  High Tide Art Gallery

2. Jacksonville, FL

In Jacksonville, FL you’ll find sprawling beaches, countless shopping malls and a breathtaking city.  This Florida city is anything but boring. Interested in new clothing stores you won’t find in Valdosta? Jacksonville is the right place for you. Looking to study on a sandy beach under the bright sun? Well then it’s time to take that trip to “Jax” Florida.

Thing to Do:

• The Cummer Museum of Art and Gardens  
  • Little Talbot Island State Park
  • Atlantic Beach
  • Jacksonville Zoo & Gardens

3. Atlanta, GA

Just a little over three hours away from Valdosta, Atlanta is a huge metropolitan city offering everything you can think of from museums to giant luxury shopping malls. This city has tons of places for fine dining, hotels with exquisite views and is the home to the famous Coca Cola Factory.

Things to Do:

•      Atlanta Botanical Garden
  •       Piedmont Park
  •       Georgia Aquarium
  •       High Museum of Art

4. Orlando, FL

Orlando, FL is located in the heart of Florida and is famous for its countless attractions and amusement parks. With its Disney Theme Parks, giggling dolphins at SeaWorld and movie themed rides at Universal Studios, this place is overflowing with attractions and entertaining things to do.

Things to Do:

• Universal’s Island of Adventure
  • Walt Disney World
  • Harry P. Leu Gardens
  • SeaWorld Orlando
  • La Nouba – Cirque De  Soleil

5. Savannah, GA

Savannah is a cute small town on the coast of Georgia with historical homes and cozy restaurants. You’ll enjoy quiet days full of museum visits and rides down famous River St. in an old street car. Savannah is absolutely gorgeous and just the place to go if you’re looking for something soothing.

Things to Do:

• Savannah Historic District
  •  Pin Point Heritage Museum
  •   Forsyth Park
  •  Historical Savannah Theatre 

HCXO!

Journalist, Writer, Mother and Wife. Passionate about travel and alternative/indie music. English and Journalism graduate at Valdosta State University as of May 2017. Follow me on twitter: GenevaCrooks_ Add me on Facebook: Geneva Rena'
Her Campus at Valdosta State.