WCW: Reasons We Love Zendaya

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

This week, our WCW is actress and singer, Zendaya Coleman. The 19-year-old has definitely made a name for herself and is one of the few positive influences that young girls have to look up to. Read on to find out why she’s our WCW for the week!

1. She stays true to herself

We’ve all seen the Instagram video of Zendaya dancing and singing in the car to Beyonce’s Partition. It’s not every day that we get to see celebrities being their true selves. Usually, it seems as though celebrities feel like they always have a certain standard do uphold, so it isn’t very often that we see one of them in an oversized t-shirt, sweatpants, and a messy bun getting excited when their favorite song comes on the radio. Now, we can feel a little less a awkward about it when we do it ourselves!

2. She’s relatable

Although she’s a celebrity, she Zendaya still reminds us that she’s still a regular girl, just like the rest of us. She always posts pictures with her parents or simple pictures of her just lounging around. Every post she makes isn’t from the red carpet; many of them are just normal day-to-day photos. Some of them are even videos that she posts with her parents. It’s nice to be reminded that even though celebrities are still rich and famous, they’re still just like us in certain aspects.

3. She takes risks

On the red carpet, Zendaya sports a different wig just about every time. Some of them are very short, while others are really long and voluminous. Some of them are very bold, while others a more subtle. Either way, she does things that many of us (at least me, anyway) wouldn’t be bold enough to do. And the crazy thing is that somehow, they always manage to look good with her. Let’s just try to imagine a blunt bob cut with bangs on me….yeah, not a very good look!

4. She’s not about the drama

With celebrity blogs such as BallerAlert, Mediatakout, and Tha Celebritea, it’s not uncommon to see a celebrity become the latest victim of some type of scandal due to rumors. Luckily enough for Zendaya, she seems to stay out of the negative spotlight. There haven’t been many blogs or websites that have had anything negative to say about her, and I can bet that it’ll probably stay that way for a while.

5. She stands up for herself and her culture

We all can recall the situation that happened last year where Giuliana Rancic made a racial comment about the dreadlocks Zendaya rocked at the Oscars, saying that it looked like Zendaya smelled of “patchouli oil and weed.” The then 18-year-old fired back, defending the African American culture by saying, “I don’t usually feel the need to respond to negative things but certain remarks cannot go unchecked… there is already harsh criticism of African American hair in society without the help of ignorant people who choose to judge others based on the curl of their hair.” A lot of people fall victim to some sort of criticism on Fashion Police, but Zendaya let Giuliana know that she wouldn’t fall victim to offensive racial stereotyping. Way to go, Zendaya!

HCXO!

Her Campus at Valdosta State.