person taking photo of pants and shoes
person taking photo of pants and shoes
SHTTEFAN/Unsplash

VSU Alumni in Media: Sean Bartley

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Sean Bartley graduated from VSU with a degree in mass media in May 2016. He recently accepted a position with Cartoon Network in the marketing department and has his own photography and cinematography company/brand Sean B. Over the summer, he earned the opportunity to work with Turner Broadcasting in Atlanta as a Digital Sports Production Intern. During his internship he put together highlights for the NBA Finals, WNBA, and MLB, he also assisted on production for: NBA Gametime and Inside Stuff as well as doing social media for ELeague.

After joining Media Arts Geniuses, Sean was motivated to pursue his love for photography. “After doing recap videos and photos at events, I received positive responses from people on campus. Originally, I started to do free photo-shoots but after hours and hours of practicing and editing, I ultimately began to charge for photos.” Doing all of this helped him to improve his camera skills.

This led him to begin his own company/brand, Sean B. “’If you don’t build your own dream someone else will hire you to build theirs.’ That was a quote I discovered my freshman year of college that motivated me to start my own brand/company. Being your own boss is great because no one knows your brand/company better than you do.”

He enjoys the editing and camera angles that contribute to the storytelling of video. “There are so many pieces that go into making a successful program or show, it’s amazing to see how all of those pieces and people work together to have an unforgettable program.” He also values the networking opportunitues he has had through Turner Broadcasting.

Sean has some advice for current mass media students, “Don’t wait for teachers to assign you projects. Find a close group of friends, classmates that have the same passion as you and begin to create projects together. You can learn from each other and enhance each others skill set. I would also advise students to take every school related project seriously so that it can be good enough to be on your reel.”

He also wanted to leave us with his favorite quote: “Don’t ever let someone tell you that you can’t do something. Not even me. You got a dream, you gotta protect it. When people can’t do something themselves, they’re gonna tell you that you can’t do it. You want something go get it, period.” — Christopher Gardner

You can check out Sean’s photography and cinematography work on his site!

HCXO!

Michaela Leung is the current Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Valdosta State. She is an honors student studying Mass Media and working on a Cross-Training Certificate in Journalism at Valdosta State University with aspirations to be a music journalist and a news anchor. This New York native enjoys fashion, all kinds of music, socializing, making people laugh and standing up for what is right. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter: michaelaskrunk