This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.
“You’re too fat to wear that.” “How can that sort of company sponsor someone like her?” “You are so pretty, you would be better looking if you were skinny.”

Being an influencer you are always in some type of light, even being a smaller one like me. Others look up to you when you produce content you and stay true to you. I hate to say this, but it is so hard trying to pump out content you like and keeping your audience happy; but try doing it being a plus size girl. 

I first had my brush of “constructive criticism” when I was reposted by Lavanila on their stories for their natural deodorant sponsorship. I was happy about this! It was my first official outing since I decided to start taking social media seriously. People were looking at my content more and brands were emailing me to work with them, it was amazing!  Until I got that first message request from someone I did not know. I opened it, “You’re so fat, why are you even doing this?”  That person and I got into an argument about my weight. I shared how I am perfectly healthy even though I am a bigger girl. This conversation with this person opened my eyes (after I blocked them of course).  It has always been hard to validate myself as being pretty by societal standards. I tried to validate myself with likes, followers, sponsorships, etc.. Something that became fun for me; became so toxic I dreaded posting on social media or even taking paid sponsorships. I had so much fun with networking and making friends with girl bosses all across the world through social media, yet that was stopped because I was trying to fit into a certain mold. It was becoming too much for me that I had to stop doing what I love.  This is when I decided to relaunch and become a personal brand. The goal became connecting with people who had the same struggles as me regardless of size or following. I decided that it was time to start over… so that is exactly what I did!  I am happy with what I am doing with my platform and my brand. It is growing more every day with a loyal and consistent following. It is such a wonderful environment because I learned to place myself around the correct group of people. In this type of industry, people can be sleazy, but don’t let that stop you from starting a YouTube channel, Instagram, or blog!  Below are some tips on loving your body.   

Tips For Being Body Confident: 
  • Remind yourself that you are perfect the way you are.. Regardless of how you are feeling.
  • Look into a mirror with nothing but a tank top and shorts, take some pictures, and point out every flaw about yourself. For every flaw you find tell yourself about a trait your like about your body.. Focus on that instead of your flaws, they DO NOT make up who you are. 
  • On a sticky note, write down some affirmations you love (Pinterest) put them on a mirror and around you. Repeat them every day, even when you don’t feel like it. 
  • Improve your eating habits! You may feel like trash, due to the fact of what you put into your body. It is okay to indulge every once in a while, but remember that your body is a temple. Treat it as such. 
  • Invest into items that are your style. To feel great, you also want to look great! Find things that are in your budget that you like! It does not have to be expensive! The thrift store has great finds for every body type! 
  • Lastly, know your worth and not worry about your size. You are here to live a manful life, not if you can fit into a certain size. If that is anything you can take away from this, let it be that. 

– HCXO 

Nicolette is a junior at Valdosta State University, majoring in Communications with an emphasis in social media and interpersonal. She is also a digital content creator and freelance writer for Thought Catalog. Nicolette is also an avid coffee drinker, animal lover, and anime/marvel fanatic. Nicolette has a passion for catching up with the latest social media trends, writing and networking. Her dream career would be a social media manager or marketing coordinator.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.