Trevor Wesley: Who Ladies Should Be Listening To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

As a woman I am tired of being degraded in songs these days. I’m constantly called derogatory names and apparently the only thing I’m useful for is sexual acts. That’s what you call mainstream music these days. Let me introduce you to singer Trevor Wesley, who mixes R&B and jazz together in his songs. He’s not well known and my guess is because he sings about chivalry to a woman. Ladies, if you’re tired of being degraded take a look at some of Trevor Wesley’s songs.

1.      “Chivalry is Dead”

Lots of people in this generation probably never heard of the word chivalry, which is really sad. It’s an old term but Trevor is bringing the word back in this song. In the song Trevor is being a real gentleman to his lady with lyrics like, “So I must open doors and make you feel like the lady you are/ My momma raised me to be classy, not flashy/ I’m happy to please you.” Trevor also makes it clear that just because he’s a gentleman doesn’t mean he’s not taking you to bed.

2.      “Most Boys”

If you listen to this song I guarantee you’ll find it very accurate if you’re constantly being catcalled like some animal. In this song, Trevor tries to prove to a girl that he’s not like most boys. You know the boys that whistle at girls and who are only looking for one thing? Some of lyrics include, “Most boys might try and pick you/ Most boys would probably try and trick you.” Trevor tries to show the girl the difference between most boys and him. And if I must say, he does an excellent job.

3.      “Why”

Why is a post break up song. And yes, I know post break up songs are not a new thing… but it’s definitely an old thing. With songs on the radio like, “F*ck that B****”, I’m gonna assume that lots of male mainstream artists don’t have feelings. In this song Trevor is confused to why his girlfriend broke up with him with lyrics like, “Oh please you got me on my knees/ Oh why did you have to go and leave me.”

4.      “Out on the Town”

Out on the town is a date night song. It’s so far away from being “Netflix and chill.” Trevor talks about going out into the city with his girl and showing her a night out on the town while partying and admiring her beauty. With lyrics like, “Out on the town/ The city lights shine off her gown/ A party with the sexy crowd”, Trevor can take me out anytime. Trevor makes “Netflix and chill” sound lame.

HCXO

I'm Jessie Thomas, a junior in college. I'm a fun loving girl who loves music and fashion! Someday I hope to be successful in the entertainment industry.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.