This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Makeup brands have started listening to their customers and are now extending their shade ranges to include women of all skin tones. For a long time there weren’t many options for frugal beauties with skin tones deeper than “cappuccino” in the drug store. Now that its become trendy to be inclusive, drugstore makeup brands are finally accommodating everyone. although these brands could (and should) be doing more to include all skin tones/types, its important to celebrate even the smallest victories. Here’s a list of the top five foundations for women of color. 

This one is for all my dark skin baddies on a budget *inserts black fist*. 

1. Revlon Color Stay Foundation 

The Revlon ColorStay collection is full of heavy hitters, but the 24 hour wear foundation definitely takes the cake. According to their website, Revlon refers to its ColorStay foundation as America’s number one long wearing foundation. Glamour girls alike have raved about this product for years, and now they have even more to rave about. The new and improved formula and packaging has really set this foundation apart from its competitors. The bottle now sports a pump dispenser that allots more control over the amount of product used.

The bottom line: 

The foundation is long lasting, it doesn’t crease, and the shade range is all inclusive. What’s not to love?

Retail price: $9.98 at Walmart

2. Maybelline Fit Me Matte + Poreless Foundation 

This foundation sent shockwaves throughout the beauty world upon its release. Thousands of beauty gurus posted reviews online about this product, and the verdict became very clear. Matte + Poreless was the one to beat.  This is a foundation that really lives up to its name. The mattifying liquid formula provides full coverage and keeps your face gorgeously matte all day long to provide that sleek look. At first, the color range for this foundation was less than friendly to the deeper skin tones, but now the extended shade range has opened up new avenues for the guys and gals who had to miss out on the mattifying experience. It’s a shame Maybelline didn’t do this sooner rather than later.

The bottom line: 

Say goodbye to your pores and hello to Fit Me.

Retail price: $7.99 at Ulta Beauty

3. L’Oréal True Match Super Blendable Foundation 

The True Match collection launch was unlike any other. L’Oréal was arguably the first drugstore brand to launch an all-inclusive foundation shade range at a reasonable price. The foundation comes in a variety of shades from natural beige to its darkest shade, espresso. The shade range is also the only one of its kind that strives to match neutral, warm and cool undertones. Makeup fans often have compared this foundation to the legendary Mac Studio Fix Fluid Foundation because of its diversity and unique formulation. According to its website, the True Match foundation used patented color technology that allows it to precisely match your skin’s tone and texture. To make things even better, the foundation also acts as a sunscreen. 

The bottom line: 

True Match is the perfect foundation for anyone looking to save a few dollars.

Retail price: $10.95 at Ulta Beauty

4. Maybelline Superstay Full Coverage Foundation 

Maybelline has been lauded by makeup artist and YouTube sensation, Jackie Aina as one of the few drugstore makeup brands to get it right the first time. So there’s no wonder as to how Maybelline landed two spots on this list. The new Superstay foundation has only been on the market for a few months and is already netting comparisons to the Fenty Beauty Pro Filt’r Foundation, a higher end foundation that was launched around the same time as Superstay. The foundation claims to provide full coverage, 24 hour wear and a flawless finish. So far its lived up to this claim.

The bottom line: 

Maybelline Superstay has definitely earned a spot in your makeup arsenal.  

Retail Price: $11.99 at Ulta Beauty

5. Black Opal True Color Pore Perfecting Liquid Foundation 

This foundation has killer coverage and the shade range to match. It’s also made with people of color in mind, which makes it even better. According to the Black Opal website, the foundation is lightweight and works to minimize the appearance of pores. This product is perfect for all skin types and it won’t weigh down your skin either. If you have dry skin, it will provide a nice dewy glow and if you have oily skin, the oil free formula won’t create too much shine. You’ll instantly fall in love with the beautiful matte finish and won’t have to worry about pesky dark spots or dry patches.

The Bottom Line: 

Black Opal has been around for years and there’s a very good reason for that.

Retail price: $10.95 on the Black Opal Website

Jada Dukes

Valdosta '18

Jada Dukes is a Senior English-Journalism major at Valdosta State University who was born and raised in Warner Robins. Outside of HerCampus, She's written for the VSU Spectator,  MyGeorgiaHometown Magazine and  SouthGeorgiaToday.com. She's also Editor in Chief for the Student run General Interest magazine, OnTap. Her Hobbies include reading, writing and binge watching TV dramas with a strong female lead. Her largest goal in life is to one day meet Oprah and then become her. 
Her Campus at Valdosta State.