pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Tips on Having a Successful Senior Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

College has been an emotional life changing journey, to say the least. From learning social skills, to two major changes, to self-growth I am proud to finally reach my last year of undergrad. As I approach my last year, I have noticed that my focus has shifted. My priorities have changed of course, and listed below are some simple vague tips to help myself and other seniors make a smoother transition into adulthood.

1. Update/prioritize your resume

Throughout college, my goal has been to be able to update my resume every year. Making sure you have a relevant resume can help with possible jobs. Eliminating clutter on your resume is key. Employers do not want to see what jobs you had at 16 like working at fast food restaurants when you are now 22 years of age. Try to only have your most recent jobs, certifications, internships, etc. that would provide relevance to the job you are applying for.

2. Shoot for an internship

Not everyone will obtain an internship during undergrad. Some students wait until grad school or after completion of a bachelor’s to get an internship because it is easier to get a degree. Getting a head start on experience during undergrad can provide you with better opportunities for acquiring a job after graduation. Try to find an internship or volunteer work senior year to obtain some experience and good knowledge for future employment.

3. Don’t get lazy!

The senior blues is real! Just because graduation is approaching does not mean begin to slack. You still have to put your best foot forward because you risk graduation and getting poor grades in your major classes. Getting good grades in your major classes is important because grad schools take things like this into consideration.

4. Have fun

Yes, senior year can be hectic and stressful, but you are still young in your 20s. It’s important to balance having a healthy social life and maintaining good academics. College doesn’t last forever so enjoy yourself while you can before hitting the real world.

-HCXO!

Her Campus at Valdosta State.