nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Things To Do This Summer Around Atlanta

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

I don’t know about you, but I am so ready for these next five weeks to pass by! I can feel the sunshine on my skin and long summer nights awaiting me. I figured, instead of daydreaming, I’m going to make a list and plan out what to do this summer. It’s never too early to start thinking about the three months (thank goodness!) that we’re off from school. Here are a few places to explore this summer in Atlanta that are personal favorites or things/places I plan on going and doing this summer!

1. Discover a new brunch place! Try the Highland Bakery.

They have yummy breakfast, brunch and lunch options. Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmerman did an episode in Atlanta. They showcased ATL’s food scene and “must-eat” locations. They featured the Highland Bakery in that episode. They have several locations in and around Atlanta. The one I went to was the Old Fourth Ward location in Atlanta. I loved their fruit tart pastry which you can get upfront. It was the perfect summer dessert that was light yet delicious. Next time I hit that place up, I plan on trying their popular Bran flake crusted peanut butter French toast with caramelized bananas! Below is a picture I took of what I got at the bakery when I went! My boyfriend opted for three mini cupcakes, and there’s my fruit tart. 

2. Just got paid? Hit up Buckhead!

Go do some damage at Lenox mall, but expect to find many expensive stores there. Even though it’s a higher-end mall, it’s still a fun place to walk around and people watch. If you’re not really into shopping, Buckhead has much more to offer than just a mall. It has great restaurants! My boyfriend took me to one of his favorite places, Bhojanic. On their website, it says “We serve home style North Indian cuisine in a relaxed and modern environment. It’s a walkable distance from the mall. Indian food is not my go-to choice when thinking about a place to eat, but it was a great choice. The food was flavorful and well-balanced. If you don’t know where to start, try the Samosas appetizer. That was my favorite part of dinner. So if you need a new place to dine, head over there! Below is a picture I took in the Ralph Lauren store. They have this beautiful staircase with lots of framed photos on the wall. Perfect photo opportunity.

3. If Lenox is too intimidating, try Atlantic Station.

The shops there are more outdoor oriented, and it’s a beautiful place to walk around. Atlantic station has a “streetscape-style setting with brick paved streets and a Central Park.” It also has many great restaurants as well. Along with restaurants and shops, there’s a movie theatre and grocery stores. Another place to hit up that’s four minutes away from Atlantic Station is the High Museum of Art! For students, it’s about $16.50 to get in. They often have many different exhibitions and events as well. I know that every third Friday of the month, they have an event called “Drawing in the Galleries” where you can sit there and sketch live (clothed) models in the galleries. All ranges of drawing experience are welcome to attend.

4. Do you like the downtown vibe for a date night or night out with the girls? Head to Downtown Decatur.

It it a beautiful town with a romantic feel at night. My boyfriend and I decided to hit up a café and ended up at a place called Java Monkey. It was a relaxed, cute little coffee place. The dim lighting and artistic feel is a great place to hit up if you want to feel intimate but surrounded by different people. It was definitely quite popular and a place for the Emory students nearby to study at. Another place to go to is a shop called HomeGrown. It was the cutest little shop with home-made stuff created by local artists. It has bath products, home-made jewelry and much more. Overall, it was a very artistic place to discover, and I fell in love with the store!

5. Attend some festivals!

There are SO many festivals that happen in the summer. There’s the Atlanta Summer Beer Festival, Atlanta Street Food Festival, Atlanta Ice Cream Festival, Piedmont Park Arts Festival and a couple more! These are just to name a few. Go to Atlanta.net to check out a full list of festivals for the summer. Last year, I went to the Ice Cream Festival at Piedmont Park. It was amazing. They have more than just ice cream. I got several different kinds, but I also tried a stand that had Jamaican jerk chicken. It was the perfect festival for a hot day. This is also a great place for a date or just a place to explore with your significant other. Don’t want to drive the full way? Take the MARTA. Just make sure you have comfortable shoes to walk in. That’s what I would do differently this year when I go.

6. Take me out to the ball game!

You can’t go wrong with going to a Braves game. The smell of food as you walk around the stadium filled with happy, passionate fans is part of the great experience. There is just so much happiness and fun commotion. It’s a classic Atlanta experience! Not a baseball fan? Go anyway, get a funnel cake, and Instagram to prove you’re not a couch potato! But, if you’re a sports fan like me, watching baseball is not as boring as people think! It’s the good ‘ol America past-time. Reminder to utilize that student discount! You can get upper deck seats for pretty cheap. I recommend going on a Friday because you can stay after the game for Friday Night Fireworks. The feeling’s magical sitting there watching the pretty lights explode over the stadium. Below is a picture from a Friday night game that I took!

There’s plenty to do in Atlanta, especially when the weather is warm. These are just a few options. The list goes on and on honestly! Instead of daydreaming about all you want to do, start planning out your adventure-filled summer and start exploring. Remember, only a few weeks left. You can do it. Just push through! 

*All pictures that are mine or that I took are stated specifically. Other pictures are not mine. 

HCXO!

Sylvia Leong is a mass media major at Valdosta State University hoping to achieve her goal of securing a job in sports broadcasting. This Georgia peach loves all shades of blue, football season, and charming her way with sarcasm. Follow on Instagram and Twitter: svia96
Her Campus at Valdosta State.