This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

With my impending graduation in May, most of time and thoughts are about graduation and post-graduation plans. I have had ideas about what I might want to do, and you might not know what your next step is either, but one thing we’re not going to do is compare ourselves to other. I believe that everyone, no matter how much they claim they don’t or how hard they try not to, always end comparing themselves to others even if it’s about something as little as manicures.One comparison that can really bring you down is comparing yourselves to people who are the same age as you. It one thing to compare yourself to someone with a substantial fortune and they are like 45 years old, but when you meet/know someone who has a great estate and is the same age as you, it can make you reevaluate your whole life and every decision you’ve made!It’s easy to get down in the dumps when you see other 20-something-year-olds owning homes, well into their career (I don’t know how they do it), and buying a new Mercedes right off the lot. You can start to feel like maybe you’re not doing enough, even though it feels like you are giving your all every single day.I’ve felt like plenty of times, especially in the last year witnessing other senior secure and finalize their post-grad plans. I am here to tell you that if you are wholeheartedly working hard and having experiences that make you grow as a person, you are SUCCEEDING in life! You are going at the pace and in the direction that was specially created for you. You are going to accomplish all of your goals when it time for you to do so. There are reasons why you were protected from achieving a goal the first, second, or third time, and when it’s time for you to accomplish that goal, you will be fully equipped to do so.We need to stop belittling our own lives just because of all of the flashy and expensive things we see on our peer’s social media, and it does look good, but we’ll get ours soon enough. Once I stopped worrying about others and what they have obtained, or is about to gain, my plans finally started looking more alluring to me. 

-HCxo!

Ketorah Frazier

Valdosta '20

Ketorah is a First Year Sociology Graduate Student at Valdosta State University. Ketorah loves to watch WWE, The Walking Dead, and Broad City. She also enjoys being a room with nothing but music playing, new and old. When she’s not doing that, you can catch her playing her PS4, and talking on the phone with her family and friends. Post-graduation, she plans to pursue a career in Victim Services, and plans to open up her own Non-Profit Organization for ALL Victims of crimes, such as domestic and sexual abuse.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.