“Thank You, Next” By Ariana Grande is the Best Breakup Song of 2018

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Thank you, next performed by Ariana Grande (pronounced GRAN-DEE) is the most positive break-up song ever made and gives us a fresh perspective on failed relationships.

Ariana Grande seems to be moving deeper into maturity after her controversial song ‘God is a Woman’. In this song, she empowers women to uphold themselves to the highest degree.

Ariana’s preforms Thank You, Next for the first time on The Ellen Show. Although there were a few mishaps in the performance, Ariana Grande, without a doubt, demonstrated her artistic ability and vocal skills.

Thank you, next starts off with Ariana Grande naming her recent exes from Big Sean to Peter Davidson; she even mentions the late Mac Miller.

Stereotypically, most break-up songs include becoming dependent, or expressing some forms of regret, pain or anger. The usual. Although Ariana does keep some of these same elements, she does not speak ill of her ex’s.

Ariana Grande turns these experience into a positive. With lyrics like:

“Thank you, next (next)

I’m so fuckin’ grateful for my ex.”

She discusses what each relationship has taught her and how it has made her a better person.

She also gives us pros about being in this type of situation; having no worries and being able to hang out with her friends.

The lyrics that have the biggest impact would be:

“Plus, I met someone else

We havin’ better discussions

I know they say I move on too fast

But this one gon’ last

‘Cause her name is Ari

And I’m so good with that (so good with that)”

Ariana Grande is talking about herself! Yes, these failed relationships have actually strengthened her relationships with herself.  

While some individuals develop bad habits after coming out of a relationship and end up having trust issues, Ariana Grande holds her head high and continues to strive towards greatness. Her self-love is one another level. #Goals.

This is an amazing example of how relationships should be dealt with. There is a possibility of peacefully ending a relationship.

Ariana is showing society that there is more to breakups than heartbreaks and baggage. Why not try to find positives and learn from what went wrong?

There is so much to take away from Ariana Grande’s message. Although breakups can be extremely painful and sometimes messy, try to remember that the feeling will not last forever and getting back on your feet is not as hard as it seems.

Myles is Junior at Valdosta State University and majors in Photojournalism and Sociology. Her plans after graduating is to become a photojournalist and some kind of therapist. She is passionate about art and literature and considers herself very down to earth.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.