A Teen with a Dream: Malala Yousafzai

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Quite frankly, Malala Yousafzai rocks my socks! This teen has proven herself to be a mover and a shaker at the age of only eighteen going-on nineteen years old! If you don’t know who she is, allow me to intoduce you. Unfortunately, I don’t know her personally, but I have followed her story closely. She made world news simply by voicing her opinion. That alone makes her brave and strong; especially considering that she spoke up against the Taliban. She wrote about the critical conditions in her region concerning girl’s schooling specifically. When you’re living in such a place, any time that you speak up against those with the upper hand, you’re risking your safety, which is exactly what she did. A young girl in Pakistan, seeking her education was shot in the head by these malicious people. Instead of allowing such a life threatening injury to hinder her, she used it as a platform for PEACE. Imagine riding home from school on the school bus–she was only 15 years old at the time–and facing a gunman! That is true selflessness. 

Rather than stopping her efforts after her attack, she continues to use  her courageous voice to prove to the world that there is still much work to be done. She was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize in 2013 and actually won the award in 2014, becoming the youngest person to achieve such an honor. Not only that, she delivered the speech in THREE different languages: English, Urdu (national language of Pakistan), and Pashto (her mother tongue). She then dedicated the award to all of the girls and women who are still far from accessing education. That also says a lot about her character because she’s truly passionate about fixing the problem, not just improving it. 

I encourage you to read more about Malala and her efforts! Recently her documentary, He Named Me Malala, premiered on National Geographic on February 29. It is a must watch!! There is no way I can describe the magnitude of the impact that Malala has had already, but it’s amazing to think of what more is to come. Here are a few memorable quotes by the influential teen herself:

1. “It feels like this life is not my life. It’s a second life. People have prayed to God to spare me and I was spared for a reason–to use my life for helping people.”

2. “Why is it that giving guns is so easy, but giving books is so hard?”

3. “When the whole world is silent, even one voice becomes powerful.”

4. “Extremists have shown what frightens them most: a girl with a book.”

I can’t speak for anyone, but all of those quotes blow my mind!! She’s a girl with a motive on a mission and for that we say Kudos, Malala! Every day, there are men, women, and children being silenced and those with voices and rights have a tendency to overlook them (I’m guilty of it myself). What I find most admirable about Malala is that she is making sure that we not only pay attention, but become informed on the cruel truth about these issues. Doesn’t she make you wanna go out and take a stand?!

Well what are you still reading this for? Go be great!

-HCxo!

Nia Lewis

Valdosta

My name is Nia which means purpose in Swahili and I am currently finding it and trying to live up to it. I'm a senior at Valdosta State University, my major is Communication Disorders--translation: I am an aspiring Speech-Language Pathologist. Nothing makes me happier than the people I love, affection, a good book, a blank journal, and the beach. I'm sure I left a few things off of the list, but you get the point.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.