TBT: 16 Unforgettable Moments of Beyoncé

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Happy 33rd Birthday to the Queen Bee herself, Beyoncé Giselle Knowles! Beyoncé has been recognized in the game for nearly 20 years since she released her first album in 1998 with R&B group Destiny’s Child. However, the Beyoncé we see and love today wasn’t always Crazy in Love with Jay-Z or telling the driver to roll up the Partition, please! In honor of the songstress’ birthday, I’ve compiled the top 16 throwback and unforgettable moments of Beyoncé!

1. September 4th, 1981

How can I acknowledge the Queen on her big day without first honoring the day she was born?!

2. Girl’s Tyme

Before there was Destiny’s Child, there was Girl’s Tyme!

And although they lost America’s Star Search, it was only a minor setback for an even greater comeback!

3. Destiny’s Child

What was once a group of four transitioned into the famous trio we formerly knew as Destiny’s Child. After replacing a few members it was then left up to Michelle, Kelly and Beyoncé to reign supreme, which was no problem as they were ranked by Billboard as one of the greatest musical trios of all time.

4. Smart Guy

Who all remembers this episode of Smart Guy when Destiny’s Child and T.J. Henderson were tap dancing with those Fubu outfits we all wish we had?!

5. Carmen: A Hip Hopera

In 2001, Beyoncé extended her talent into acting when she premiered in MTV’s movie Carmen: A Hip Hopera alongside actor Mekhi Phifer. Given the reviews, it’s no wonder as to why she doesn’t talk about it much.

6. When Beyoncé coined the phrase “Bootylicious”

She had the whole world feeling proud of their backside and had us all using the word “bootylicous” in 2001.

7. When she perfected the half up, half down hairdo

Hair laid for the weave gods! Yasss Bey *stan voice*!

8. When she rolled the dice again with her acting career

In 2002, the diva joined the cast of Austin Powers in Goldmember as Foxxy Cleopatra (she was a whole ‘lotta woman). She also took this opportunity to debut her first solo music video, “Work It Out”.

9. When she made drinking Pepsi look bad*ss

Pepsi and Beyoncé have gone hand in hand since 2003, so who could possibly forget this classic 2004 commercial with three of the greatest divas of the early 2000s making gladiator costumes look sexy!?

10. When her vocals blew us away with the National Anthem

With the Super Bowl XXXVIII taking place in Houston, Texas, it was only right to have the H-Town native blow the stadium away with her amazing vocals that sent chills down everyone’s spine!

11. House of Deréon

Ah, remember when Beyoncé tag-teamed with Mama Knowles to release their debut clothing line House of Deréon? The clothing line sent fans to their nearest Macy’s and Burlington just so they could get their hands on the closest thing to what Beyoncé would wear. Now, nobody would be caught dead in a pair of Deréon jeans–but hey, there’s nothing wrong with dipping your hands in different projects!

12. When she got Punk’d

We all watched in laughter as we saw kids wait three hours for Beyoncé to light a Christmas tree only to knock it down. Unfortunately, poor Beyoncé was a casualty of Ashton Kutcher’s many pranks.

13. When she showed off her room in MTV Cribs

Those pillows? That dresser? The sky-painted ceiling? Admit it, you wanted her room.

14. Happily Ever After

Hidden in everyone’s slow jam throwback playlist is Case’s 1999 single “Happily Ever After”. Did you recognize that the girl in the music video was 18-year-old Beyoncé?

15. Sisterly Love

Although Solange was often cast behind the shadows of big sis, that never stopped Beyoncé from showing off her sisterly love on the red carpet!

16. When she went through awkward hair styles, just like we did

Remember the days when we had to have the hottest hairstyle? Well, Beyoncé does.

Happy Birthday Beyoncé! Thank you for slaying us with every award show performance, wow-ing us with every red carpet outfit, and giving us timeless music! Don’t party too hard without us, girl!

21 Mass Media Major at Valdosta State :)
Her Campus at Valdosta State.