Taking a Stand Against Domestic Violence

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

While browsing through Netflix this weekend, I came across a movie called HoneyTrap. The movie was centered on a young teenager losing her innocence and joining a gang to feel the love she wasn’t getting at home. Eventually, her boyfriend became abusive and, like many battered women, she decided to stay with him. Domestic abuse is very disheartening and should not be taken lightly. Women face racial, equality, violence, and inferiority issues on a daily basis. Below are some simple ways to try to eliminate domestic violence and promote good mental and physical health to women all around the globe:

1.     Visit shelters 

While in high school, I volunteered at a battered women’s shelter called the Haggar House, located in downtown Decatur. Volunteering here was a very humbling experience. Seeing women who had been through abuse and wanted a way out encouraged me to take a stand against violence. These women finally felt they had a voice and were able to share their pain with others to keep them from experiencing the same. 

2.     Start small support groups

An easy and inexpensive way to encourage women who are going through domestic issues is to start a small support group. Many facilities are free and require a simple reservation of space to have these meetings. Facilities like your local YMCA and rec centers are good choices. These meetings would provide a safe space for women where they can come vent and not feel judged. The meetings could also inspire others to leave a bad situation. 

3.     Encourage women to seek help

Many battered women do not like to express their situation because they feel it is their fault. Provide a tranquil and non-judgmental attitude and environment to build rapport. Trying to help others really does work the majority of the time. Also, encouraging women to seek counseling is always a great solution as well. A therapist is a trained professional who can save a life.

4.     Check the signs 

Although some signs of domestic abuse are pretty obvious, some are not. Some women go as far as covering bruises with makeup, faking a smile and positive attitude, and staying at home when episodes happen. As a friend or concerned individual, it’s up to you to recognize if things feel a little off. Report any suspicious behavior to authorities before it’s too late. 

No one deserves to be bullied or embarrassed. There is never a case where physically harming someone you “love” is ok. If you are seeking help, I encourage you whole heartedly to go to a counselor or safe environment. If you know someone who is being abused, step in and contact the police as soon as possible.

Her Campus at Valdosta State.