Support Black Television

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

There is a clear lack of diversity within American media. Although people of color make up a large percentage of America’s population we are rarely able to see images of ourselves in many forms of media. Minorities have to fight for roles and then fight to be recognized for their great work. Let’s be honest for a moment some actors out are mediocre, but because of their skin they are afforded opportunities that a mediocre person of color could, and will, never receive. Within recent years there have been a few shows that have opened the door to diversity, and surprisingly a few of those shows have a majority black cast. For some of these shows not only is the cast black, but the directors, creators, and writers are also black in order to give a true reflection of Black America. Today’s article is about extraordinary black shows that need much more recognition than they are currently receiving. Support black television!! 

Atlanta (FX)

The Get Down (Netflix)

Insecure (HBO)

Luke Cage (Netflix)

Queen Sugar (OWN)

Blackish (ABC)

HCXO!

Toni Miles is a Mass Media Major with aspirations of writing, producing her own documentaries, and directing short films in the future. 
Her Campus at Valdosta State.