The Sun, Rising, and Moon Signs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

One of the most interesting things to begin looking into is Astrology! Astrology is the study of influences of celestial bodies on human affairs and the natural world. The Sun, Rising, and Moon Signs refer to the positioning of the planets, sun, and moon with regards to which zodiac house each is in. The zodiac is divided into 12 segments, each ruled by a different sign. 

Sun Sign

Many of us are familiar with our Sun Sign. Our Sun Sign refers to the position of the Sun during the time of birth. This is the sign we speak of when we say “I am a Capricorn” or “I am a Virgo.” The Sun Sign summarizes the core characteristics of our personality which is also referred to as our zodiac personality.  Using your birth date and the chart below, you will learn in which zodiac the Sun was positioned at the time of your birth!

Rising Sign

Our Rising Sign, or Ascendant, refers to the sign that was rising over the eastern horizon during the time of birth. In order to determine your Rising Sign, it is necessary to know the exact time and place of birth due to the fact that this sign changes every 2 hours and will be different in separate locations. This sign reflects the way you act in public. It places into consideration the way others see you or who they perceive you to be. It is said to be the shield or mask that guards someone’s true nature and the coping mechanisms used during uncomfortable situations.

Moon Sign

Our Moon Sign refers to the placement of the moon during our time of birth. Due to the fact that this sign changes every 2 ½ days, it is necessary to have the time, place, and date of your birth. This sign reveals the inner moods, emotions, fears, and vulnerabilities of a person. It is your moon sign that plays the role in determining how you will react to a situation or problem. The Moon Sign is said to be the unguarded or subconscious you.  

It’s always good to know a little more about yourself and soon you will be able to find correlations and patterns of the signs between friends!

-HCXO 

Jamesia Folston is an Early Childhood Education student at Valdosta State University. She is a 23 year old alternative music addict who enjoys traveling, thrifting, and creating. She aspires to become an educator abroad and globetrotter.
Her Campus at Valdosta State.