This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Obtaining clear skin is hard when you’re not sure what products work for your skin type and what order to use them in. For some of you, the problem could be that you don’t know what your skin type is to begin with. I encourage anyone reading this to look for resources to figure out what your skin type is and consult with your dermatologist to determine the proper skincare regimen for you. With that being said, here is a step by step skin care routine that works really well for me.

​1. Cleanser: African Black Soap

The first step in your skincare routine should be cleanser. Everyday our skin comes in contact with germs, allergens, and bacteria from all over. There are trillions of bacteria on your smartphone, laptop keyboard, and even your pillow case. Make sure you’re using a cleanser to wipe off all of those disgusting germs with a cleanser that’s tailored to your specific needs.  African black soap is an effective cleanser that fades dark marks and works well for oily/combination skin.

2. TONER: Witch Hazel

Next up is toner. Toner is an essential part of cleansing your face because it balances everything out by toning your pores and cleaning off any residual dirt left behind by your cleanser. There are plenty of toners out on the market that are both effective and inexpensive. Dickenson’s Witch Hazel Toner can be found in most drug stores for cheap. 

3. MOISTURIZER: Garnier SkinActive Moisture Rescue

One of the final and most important steps in the cleansing process is the moisturizer. Moisturizer replenishes the skin with all the natural moisture that was lost in the first step of the process. If you ever get lazy and decide to skip a part of your regimen, I implore you not to cut this one out. Skipping your moisturizer leads to uncomfortable, flaky dry skin that nobody wants or needs. The Garnier SkinActive Moisture Rescue Gel-Cream Moisturizers are perfect drugstore moisturizers that cater to most skin types.  

4. ANTI-AGING CREAM: Ponds Anti-Wrinkle cream

It’s never too early to start worrying about wrinkles. If you want to look 16 at 45 you need to start preparing now. Using anti-aging products like serums and wrinkle cream could help you keep the elasticity with anti-aging ingredients like collagen which is found in most anti-aging products. Pond’s  Anti-Wrinkle cream has AHAs and Collagen and claims to reduce wrinkles in just two weeks

5. FACE MASKS: Freeman Avocado and Oatmeal Mask

This step is the secret weapon/holy grail of your skin care routine. Incorporating face masks into your skincare regimen allows you to play around with a variety of masks that can help clear out acne, clean pores and revitalize your skin. Use your favorite face mask at least 1-2 times a week and you’ll be on track to having clear, healthy, skin. Freeman Avocado and Oatmeal clay mask is  great for acne prone skin and clogged pores.

Jada Dukes

Valdosta '18

Jada Dukes is a Senior English-Journalism major at Valdosta State University who was born and raised in Warner Robins. Outside of HerCampus, She's written for the VSU Spectator,  MyGeorgiaHometown Magazine and  SouthGeorgiaToday.com. She's also Editor in Chief for the Student run General Interest magazine, OnTap. Her Hobbies include reading, writing and binge watching TV dramas with a strong female lead. Her largest goal in life is to one day meet Oprah and then become her. 
Her Campus at Valdosta State.