This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Valdosta chapter.

Ever since 2015 hit, I have noticed a change in some of the music that has been put out. Some artists have brought the meaning of real music back to the industry! The use of live bands has expanded. Neo-soul music is making an appearance again and music has become jazzier, funkier, and more…soulful. I am in love with this movement and I hope it keeps going. Here are five songs that I have been digging lately.

1. These Walls – Kendrick Lamar (feat. Bilal, Anna Wise & Thundercat)

From his album, To Pimp A Butterfly, comes one of my favorite songs. Many people couldn’t get into Kendrick’s album and several called it “weird” music.  This project spoke volumes and after his album was released, the wave of soulful music came out of the woodwork.

2. For The World – The Internet Feat James Fauntleroy

The Internet’s, Ego Death, was the album of the summer. The band has always made great music, but this album is by far their best. This was is such a groovy album you really can’t help but love it and move with it.

3. Surf Sax – TrapHouseJazz feat. Donyea

TrapHouseJazz is a genre, a label, and a band. Over 80 artist deep, this band has some serious talent. Their band leader, Masego, plays that crazy saxophone you hear and also comes out with his own music. TrapHouseJazz mixes hip hop with elegant, funky jazz and makes music that you could chill to or dance to.

4. I’ll Be Back Again – D.R.A.M.

D.R.A.M. has recently dropped his new EP GAHDAMN! and this song was screaming at me, “Put me on repeat!”. I never knew D.R.A.M. had such amazing vocals that would give you goosebumps everywhere. He really tapped into that old school feel with getting personal and protesting his love.

5. ROS – Mac Miller

Mac’s music has evolved over the years and I was so pleased with his album GO:OD AM. I’m sure people who first started listening to his music never knew he would get to this level of artistry.

If you would like to explore more soulful music check out my personal blog theeclecticlistener.com

HXCO! 

Hello! I'm Erika and I'm a Mass Media and French major. I love to read, write, and listen to music! 
Her Campus at Valdosta State.